Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:15:05 AM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 75727 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
Heres a slightly clearer pic of it before it went into the cabinet.
Hood
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
SWEET !
The eBay Zip Links will be nice. I have 3 but decided not to use them because of their size. Wish I had used them now because I made the cables with ONLY the I/O that I thought I'd need. Would rather have had every pin available at the terminal block ... wether I was using it or not.
Also, I see Automation Direct has Zip Links and cables that will work withthe DSD"s .. reasonable $ too.
Thanks Hood,
Russ
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »
Holy Crap, Hood that is a piece of art. Do you take it to galleries?

You really do nice work. I saved the pictures of the panel that you made for your lathe project thinking that it would be nice to do something that nice for mine. Then I checked back with the real world and remembered that I just need mine up and running so that I can get the other one out of the shop. Typical small home shop with limited floor space. Not saying that I wont take the time on the Bridgeport CNC, but now.

Thanks again for all your help. Makes me wish I lived next door so I could pop over to lend a hand when you needed it or a cold beer from time to time.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »
Russ
 I always tend to have more connections than I think I will need and a lot of the time they get used. I just got the interface boards and they are nice, only half the width of the others I have here, sadly I only got 3 from eBay so will have to use one of the bigger ones I have :(
All of the inteface boards I have seen for sale in the UK are £30 upwards for 37pin, I did get a deal a while back from a place that was clearing stock and I bought two 37 pin ones for £15 each and I am kicking myself that I didnt buy a few more.

Budget Machine Tool
Thanks for the comments but as I do each machine things get neater so hopefully the Bridgeports electric  panel will be neater :)
My workshop is small as well, I now have 2 units so length is about 70ft overall but width is only 14ft, lathe is 7-8ft front to back,  I only have a passage down the middle of about 2ft, I need to go on a diet ;D

Try and make the best control panel you can, you will be glad you did as it is in my opinion it makes working the machine so much easier.

Hood

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »
Correction for previous post:
  Appears the Auto Direct ZipLinks will work for the DDM drives with that God forsaken 50 pin connector, not the cool DSD's.
Dang near worth the $90 as they are a royal pina to make up, especially if using all available pins.
 http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motion_Control/Servo_Systems/I-z-O_Interface_-a-_Communications_-a-_Software/ASD-BM-50A
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »
You dont really need them all, for example you will be unlikely to need the analogue voltage inputs (+-10v) unless you will be using it with DSPMC etc, then if you are you wont be needing Step/Dir.

This is the ones I use and of them the encoder outs are not needed, well at the moment ;)

Hood
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
Sure, you wouldn't need all 50, I should have said "all available pins for your application".
Still, them little buggers are a  P I T A !
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Hood, sounds like you are pretty tight on space too. I don't know how you manage in a space that is 14' wide. My building is 63'X42', but I only heat 2 rooms in a part that is 26'X42'. However the room that has the machinery in it is 26'X21' and includes...
Lathes:
18"x120" Southbend
10ee Monarch
12"x36" CNC conversion lathe plus it's 2'x2' control cabinet
the YAM is an the place that normally has all the welding equipment in it.

Mills:
Bridgeport manual machine
Hurco CNC mill
Brideport ceries I CNC

Saws:
36" DoAll Vertical
18"x16" Johnson model J Horz.

a Reid 618 surface grinder
and tool boxes, carts, tooling cabinets, ect.
all in the one room. Now thats tight. Ill post a few pictures one of these days.

Thats why the YAM is a get er done project. At the moment I am having to do all welding/fab work in the un heated part and in Michigan its cold as he** at the moment. only 7 F yesterday morning and 23F for a high.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 02:32:17 PM »
Good Lord ! ! !
All of that in 21 x 26 ? ? ? ?
Wow, that must be tight for sure.
You won't have to worry about a mouse problem, there's no room for one. ha
Anxious to see a pic, then I might be bold enough to post my rats nest. (only room for one rat ... ME )
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Ya, the disaster that remains after re arranging to Jam one more machine in is the reason I don't post any now. Good lord what a mess. Trying to find new homes for things that had been in place for so long is proving to be difficult at best. I need to buy bigger shoe horn, but I dont know ware I would put that eater. The guy that helps me out when I get slammed call it the war zone.