Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 12:15:35 PM

Author Topic: AutoCAD and LazyCam  (Read 16164 times)

Re: AutoCAD and LazyCam
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:36:22 PM »
Had to rename it, website wouldn't let upload with the same name.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
WOW, I haven't seen much, but this is the strangest.
I can open it with ProdgeCad 08 but cant save it as anything ... from r12 up to 2007 dwg or dxf or ascii or ANYTHING.
Wish I could help, but this is way ot there for me.
Russ

edit: forgot pic

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 06:32:25 AM »
Russ, he imported a .jpg image into AutoCAD and saved it as a .dxf file.

Mishawaka, that's the problem. You can't do that, with ANY CAM program.

When using a .dxf file with a CAM program, it should really only contain lines, arcs, and circles.

Can LazyCAM import jpg files directly? Depending on what you want to do, that might be your best bet. If, you want to carve it as a 3D object.
However, if the image is a line drawing, you probably want to use a raster to vector converter to convert it into lines, then save the conversion as a .dxf

Personally, if it's a line drawing, I import it into AutoCAD, then trace it manually. Results will be much better. However, it sounds like you know very little about AutoCAD, so that may not be an option.

I recommend posting the image here, so we can get an idea of what you're looking to do, then steer you in the right direction. Most likely, that doesn't involve AutoCAD.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
I went ahead and looked for a raster to converter program, found a few and tried them. One worked OK so far but cost money and can't go that route since I would still need to edit in AutoCAD. I kinda like the tracing method you mentioned and I will try that later. I really wish my teacher would have taught us AutoCAD with Inventor instead of going through the history of graphics and and crap. Thanks for the help and will hopefully get all this figured out. I have a Taig mill setup with Mach3 and I have cut a few things already, I can program but I don't have much talent in the drawing area. I'm attaching the dxf of what I have come up with so far. Thanks Again!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
Hey ger21, I ended up doing what you mentioned about tracing the picture in AutoCAD and it seems to be the best route to go, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still having problems with inserting a G41 or G42 for cutter comp. It throws the code off when I a dry run in MACH so I decided to just try a cut and see what it does. I'll let you know how it goes. Is there any other controller software that I could try with a Gecko G540? I like MACH3 but it seems kinda complicated for the most part. Thanks again!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Is there any other controller software that I could try with a Gecko G540?

Yes, but then why try something which will be inferior?  ;)

I like MACH3 but it seems kinda complicated for the most part
So are the others ........since you'll need to do similar configuration.

RICH