Hello Guest it is April 29, 2024, 01:02:43 PM

Author Topic: DXF to LC to Gcode  (Read 3380 times)

DXF to LC to Gcode
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:12:29 AM »
Hi all

Yes this seems to be another "I can't get my DXF into LC into Gcode". Sorry but I've read a lot of info here and still can't find a solution.

Overall I'm actually trying to get a PCB file into Gcode so I can make my own PCBs. I'm using Protel 99SE which I've saved as a DXF. I've then opened that with AutoCad2004 and removed things I don't need (like solder masks etc) then saved as DXF R12. I open the DXF in LC and it all appears to be there. Others seem to be missing stuff at this point, but my file appears all there.

I've got 2 layers, 1 being the tracks and 1 being the outer drawing of the PCB itself. I've assigned each layer a tool, and also set depths for each one. When I hit POST CODE it saves the file. But inside the Gcode file is only about 50 lines of sensible code then it just repeats G42, G40 for a few hundred lines. This is where I'm missing things. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm still running the demo version, which according to the website is limited to 500 lines, not 50. I'm new to all this, my first CNC router is due for delivery next week, but I'm using the holidays to learn how to drive it all.

I've attached the Lcam and the tap files.

Cheers - Matt
Re: DXF to LC to Gcode
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:25:44 AM »
I've just found the manual for LC and noticed that in demo mode it only supports 50 lines of code... Oh well I will wait until my Router turns up and then check how well the demo runs before buying the software.

Cheers - Matt
Re: DXF to LC to Gcode
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
Try searching for a program called CopperCAM for PCB's.  I just downloaded a trial of this and it works well.  MACH3 loads the G-codes and goes right to work.  I have read trace width (line width) translation can be a problem when using DXF for PCB's.