Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:13:37 PM

Author Topic: incresing speed on stepper motors  (Read 28185 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: incresing speed on stepper motors
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »
The one mistake that i didn't make was a puny power supply. Got 30 amps available at 36 volts so i can have use max amp out of the Geckos i use for 4 axis.
Only had to buy once which was cheaper than buying twice. Or said a different way, like a big motor  in the car, power available  should i decide to use it later.

Here is the problem with all of this. To design your system you need to be able to relate each of the pieces to the intended use. 
What system you end up with willl only be as good as the weakest link . There are books written on each system piece.
RICH
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
I read a lot of books - but still need help understanding this stuff. :) Thanks

It's ok to have more amps because the system will only draw what it needs, right?
Do you have a link to power supply you have? I have another coming because I needed the 12v power supply for another project. I have a 36v 10 amps coming and another 12v power supply but not the radio shack model coming.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
It's ok to have more amps because the system will only draw what it needs, right?
Yes
Do you have a link to power supply you have?
Bought them from Camtronics a long time ago but suggest you shop around.

RICH
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 08:37:13 PM »
Thanks

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 05:24:58 AM »
For when I do upgrade -
How would I hook the motors to be single coil?
This was not suggested as a recommended starting point for a new system, this was to try to improve what you have already but see my previous post as to why you can't even do this.

Re: your motors, I'm still not clear on which motors you have or are using. In your first post (december) you said you were using the 276's but you attached a photo of two - the 276 and the 286. In this post you say you're using the 286's. These are quite different motors with very different torque curves (which I attached) - until you understand what these motors can do and what their strengths and weaknesses are - I'd not go out and buy any more.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 05:49:21 AM »
You don't need more than 10 amps if using a G540
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
Thanks!

What I am going to start saving towards -
Gecko 540 and cables
Power Supply -- Assuming 36v and long as it is at least 10 amps???
And eventually change everything over to 5 start screws instead of the single start I am using now.

Still unsure if my current motors are good enough. I have the 286's currently mounted but I also own from a previous build the 276's.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »
Thanks!

What I am going to start saving towards -
Gecko 540 and cables
Power Supply -- Assuming 36v and long as it is at least 10 amps???
And eventually change everything over to 5 start screws instead of the single start I am using now.

Still unsure if my current motors are good enough. I have the 286's currently mounted but I also own from a previous build the 276's.

I guess the advice about designing with purpose and not just choosing kit at random just went out of the window then... shame.

Ian
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »

I guess the advice about designing with purpose and not just choosing kit at random just went out of the window then... shame.

Ian

I must of missed something. I posted what I am using the machine for - And I want to upgrade to a 4th axis for a rotary.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »
I must of missed something. I posted what I am using the machine for - And I want to upgrade to a 4th axis for a rotary.
OK let's take your proposed PS as an example in combination with your proposed G540.

Take a look at the specs of the G540. What Vdc can it handle? 50Vdc right? but you're going to limit your system to 36Vdc - why? You don't even know what motors you're going to be using yet because...

Have you looked at and understood the torque curves I posted yet? BTW- Hint - there's info missing - what don't they tell you?

Ian