Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:24:31 AM

Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 6076 times)

Newbie Question
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this and just got my machine to the point where I'm jogging and checking the axis'. My question is when the jog is set at 50%, does that mean that it is running at 50% of what it would versus if it were reading and running a G-Code? Just don't want to have it take off and self destruct. What recommendation do you have for first timers. I know you will say, watch the videos, which I have. It's going to take me several times of watching them before it sinks in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »
Hi Mike,
  It is the percent of the maximum speed available which is determined by your settings in Motor Tuning.
If your axis is really fast, 50% might be OK. Best to start slow and adjust from there. I'd try 20% to start with, easy enough to speed it up but harder to repair any damage from going unexpectedly too fast.
Russ
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
So if the jog is set at say 20% of maximum, is that the speed that it would cut a project at?

1/2 X 10 Single start on the X
3/8 X 10 single start on the Y and Z with 305oz steppers
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
No, just for jogging.
The project speeds will be controlled by the F word (feed rate) in the GCode and the G0 which is a rapid move.
G0 will be at the max set in motor tuning, F will be units per min/mm (usually) but can be units per revolution.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:01:52 PM »
So for setting up my machine coordinates, I would probably want to set the velocity at a fairly slower rate until I understand things a little better, correct?

Thanks for the help, Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
Sure, nice and slow until you get used to it and become familiar with the various functions.
Also a good idea to experiment with all of the jog settings available to lessen the likelyhodd of surprises ... and crashes.
The JOG STEP and associated INCREMENT can catch you off guard if you're not aware. ( had a close call once, 100%, 1" increment)
Happy to help a bit,
Russ
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
Ok, I got another questiion. How do you reset machine coordinates? I'v got the manual, but can't find anything on setting machine coordinates. I jogged it  to where I want X/Y home and tried to zero but it wouldn't. Please bare with me ::)

Thank's Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
You Home the machine to set Machine coords, if you dont have home switches set up then just jog to where you want machine zero to be and press RefAll button.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
I tried that but it didn't zero the dro's. They are red. Also in the status bar it says "too fast for pulleys". I've got the velocity set at 30 and the accel at 15. That shouldn't be too fast, should it?  I'll get ahold this sooner or later. All part of the learning process I guess. :P

Thanks Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »
You need to check "Auto Zero" for each axis in Config>Homing/Limits.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html