Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:08:44 AM

Author Topic: Still stymied by my LPTs  (Read 6987 times)

Re: Still stymied by my LPTs
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »
Yes.  I just went through all combinations: Port=1, 2 then 3;  Address= 0xdd00, 0xdc00, 0xde00, 0xdf00.  No go on any.

Charley

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »
Think what I would do is remove the cable from the port and check with a voltmeter on each Dir pin and jog the axis back and forward and see if you get the voltage changing from 0 to 5v.

Just to clarify, the port number will never be 3 for the parallel port as Mach only supports 2 ports. As you have the address set for Port 1 then that is what should be set for the port numbers.

Hood
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
Tried that, as I mentioned in my first post.  That was the point at which I gave up trying on my own and asked for help.

I don't understand what the port number in Ports & Pins refers to.  How does it relate to LPT1, LPT2, LPT3?

BTW, yes, I did try downloading & installing another version of Mach3, but maybe I've got to start from scratch once again.

Charley

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
Mach3 can use two ports. Mach3 calls them Port 1 and Port 2. You can use any available LPT for either port 1 or port 2
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 06:31:16 PM »
Port 1 or 2 in Mach has no relation to LPT1, 2 3 etc in Windows other than the address you assign. All Mach is concerned with is that the address you set is the one you have your cable connected to. For example if you had the standard onboard port with 0738 address you could set that as Port 1 in Mach and you would set all ports and pins config to look at port 1. Similarly you could set that address as Port 2 and enable port 2 and you would set 2 as the value of the port in your ports and pins configs.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Oh and forgot to say, yes you tried the voltmeter earlier but if you had the wrong port set up for the numbers in Motor Setup then you wouldnt get anything.
Hood
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
I'm getting called for dinner, so I'll have to break this off and return later with a fresh outlook.  I'm not sure what else to try (my original condition).  The problem seems to be logical, i.e., some sort of misalignment between Mach3 and the port.

I went to Rosewill's site to check for a newer driver, only to find their downloadable version is an earlier one than I have installed.  Just an added bit of confusion.  Too bad I don't have any other parallel port devices, e.g., a printer, to try.

Many thanks for your help.

Charley
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »
Ha!  Couldn't resist one more try.  I had discovered earlier that I did not have Windows Interrupts enabled for LPT2 and LPT3 (the PCI ports).  I changed that, and connected the output cable to the 2nd port on the PCI card.  Now, I get movement on the X and Z axes, but not the Y.  I'll figure that out later.

Charley