Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:05:25 AM

Author Topic: Power Supply Unit  (Read 70101 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Power Supply Unit
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
You can easily make your own power supply, Bob Campbell has a good pdf describing how to do it, heres the link.
http://campbelldesigns.net/files/power-supply-part-1.pdf

Hood

An excellent article Hood, thank you

That is a project in itself and for sure I will give it a try after I finish my CNC
Nicolas
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »
This would work perfectly: http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=170

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
Don't know where you looked but:

power supply 36V 25A $125 ( email me at dmauch@seanet.com I do not want to sell power supply kits to unqualified people.

Power Supply ( email me at dmauch@seanet.com I do not want to sell power supply kits to unqualified people.
110 primary 33VDC at 20A ideal for the 600 oz in Ametch motors and others.

RICH

I looked at camtronics-cnc.com, no power supply there

$125 for a power supply plus shipping is a lot and I will assume thats US$. The ones I mentioned above are from China at about $40 shipping included. In 2009 I bought one from the same place 27V DC / 13A about $35.00 shipping included. My motors are 282oz-in and I guess I dont need the high Amps

Thanks anyway
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
This would work perfectly: http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=170

Regards,
Ray L.

I do appreciate the help from all here but this unit is also an expensive power supply ($US116.00 shipping included). Perhaps I will have to purchase one but I have to look at all alternatives.

The one you mentioned from Antek is 35V DC / 8.6A and cost US$116.00. The ones I mentioned earlier from eBay one is 36V / 9.7A and cost US$40.00 shipping included. I tend to believe that the second will do the job
Nicolas
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
You get what you pay for.  Those E-Bay supplies are switching power supplies., which are not the best thing for steppers.  They are also brand X Chinese-made power supplies, and a number of people have had problems with other such supplies.  Don't be surprised if it doesn't work well, or goes up in smoke.  Saving pennies by buying cheap motor drivers, and cheap power supplies is what leads to flaky machines, and supports the old myths about steppers being inherently unreliable....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »
Ray I do apologize but I understand that the products in US are much superior than from China or Hong Kong. However I made a mistake and already bought a power supply for $40.00 which is not good enough as you pointed out and now I have to buy another one which will be another $40.00. My budget is limited.

When I make another CNC then I will go to Antek which seems a good place and I didn’t know about them before.

I do appreciate your time and help

Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
kolias
 it is very easy to make a power supply for steppers, a transformer (toroidal is normal) a rectifier and a capacitor or two. Dont know the prices in North America for these but I am sure it will work out cheaper than buying a ready made one.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »
FWIW,
Common mistakes:
1. Not considering the future use of the controller
2. Inadequate power supply
3. Second rate / problematic drives
4. Inadequate stepper motors

So you buy all at a bargain and save $A.....
Then you rebuy and to get what you needed or wanted in the first place $B

So $B - $A= may be nothing but agrivation and wasted money

Take you time, build the controller yourself, buy once and save money, know how it all works and can repair it, ....nice good feeling........$ cost in the long run = priceless

You CAN do it all......, ;)

RICH

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
I totally agree with all above and I would have liked to build my own power supply but my knowledge with electrical is very basic. In addition, although Montreal is a big city the stores to supply electronics is only one and all the clerks there are students who know nothing to give me a hand. Talking about rectifiers and capacitors etc. is like Chinese to me LOL.

Anyway I'm reading the document which Hood send me and looks simple enough. I like to read it again and see if I can figure out how I can do it and where to purchase the staff.
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »
kolias
 it is very easy to make a power supply for steppers, a transformer (toroidal is normal) a rectifier and a capacitor or two. Dont know the prices in North America for these but I am sure it will work out cheaper than buying a ready made one.

Hood

I ordered the new power supply from China (25 days delivery!!!) and in the mean time I printed the pdf document you sent me from CambellDesigns and I study it to see what I can get out of it. Would I get any help here if I decide to go ahead and build one myself? I mean the questions I will have may sound stupid to you but I know very little about electrical let alone build a power supply.

First step is to size the items I need and then go to my local store and see if they are available and how much they cost. My local store have tons of electronic parts which they are stored in bins and you must know exactly what you are looking for otherwise you are lost since there is no help from the store.
Nicolas