Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:00:01 AM

Author Topic: Power Supply Unit  (Read 69827 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Power Supply Unit
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:03 AM »
No, the air coming out of the 36VDC power supply is not warm

Alright I will get the silicone heat sink grease and follow instructions.

And now I know the negative terminal on the capacitors. I will assume that I have to solder my connections to these capacitors

Is it ok to apply heat to these terminals to solder my wiring?

Thank you both
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Yes, soldering is no probs, thats why the top plastic outer is slightly melted as when I went to post them to you I had to de-solder the wires I had on them, only prob was the only soldering Iron I had handy was a big wolf one with a 1 inch square  tip so not easy to get in ;D

Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2011, 11:44:40 PM »
From the 3 main items on this power supply unit (toroidal, rectifier, capacitors). which will generate the most heat that needs to be dissipated ?

Toroidal was to be delivered today but the courier got stuck in the snow and delivery will be tomorrow. I will then make a layout and post a photo for comments before starting mounting the items.

Nicolas
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2011, 11:54:07 PM »
None of them should generate a great deal of heat.  Heat sink the rectifier, just in case.  The transformer should only get hot if you run it for sustained periods at high current output, which should never happen.  The capacitors should NEVER get hot.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
Thanks Ray for the info

The unit just arrived and here is a photo along with my questions:

Do I remove the clear plastic that is wrapped around the unit?
When I mount it, the wires coming out should be at the top or the bottom?
There is one metal washer and two rubber washers along with one bolt. How do I use these?

On the unit it is written: Noratel, 953 2846, Model TA225/25     LK 0923A
I went to Noratel.com but no more info is available with the above numbers

I have also attached a .PDF data sheet from where I bought the unit which has the wiring coming out of the unit. The BLU & GRY are hold together with some kind of tape and the same for the VIO & BRN

Thanks
Nicolas
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »
Do NOT remove the clear plastic.

Wires can be at the top or the bottom - doesn't matter.

Put one rubber piece on the mounting surface, then the transformer, then the other rubber piece, followed by the large metal washer, then install the bolt.  Do NOT over-tighten the bolt - just enough to keep the transformer from going anywhere.

If you're AC source is 110/120V, connect the Violet and Blue wires together, and connect to one side of the AC supply.  Connect the Brown and Gray together, and connect to the other side of the AC source.  If your AC source is 220/240V, connect the Brown wire to one side of the AC source, and the Blue wire to the other side.  Connect the Violet and Gray wires together, and seal the connection up in some heat-shrink tubing.

Connect the Orange and Black wires together, and connect to one AC input of the rectifier.  Connect the Red and Black wires together, and connect to the other AC input of the rectifier.  Connect the capacitors with the - terminals to the - terminal of the rectifier, and the capacitor + terminal to the + terminal of the rectifier.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »
Thank you Ray

I find it strange to leave the clear plastic on, looks to me that is going to burn or something but I will follow your instructions, What purpose it serves any way

Mounting sounds good, no problem here.

I’m on 110/120V so when you say connect to one side of AC supply does it matter if it is Line or Neutral (Black or White)?

There is a mistake on the secondary side, I think

You say to connect Orange and Black together and connect to one AC input of the rectifier. Then connect the Red and Black (you mean the YELLOW) and connect to the other AC input of the rectifier.

So I take a piece of wire and connect it to the PLUS of one Capacitor then continue and connect the same wire to the PLUS of the next Capacitor and then the same wire I connect to the PLUS of the rectifier.

Then I do the same with the MINUS

Thanks again
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »
Kolias - Don't know if anyones raised this yet but it looks as though you have a double primary and double secondary transformer there. Wiring is not complicated but you need to be aware of how they need to be configured. Generally speaking it looks like you'll need your primaries in parallel (for 120Vac) and your secondaries in series (for 24Vac). Also you'll need to establish the phases of the windings or that fuse might well come in handy (hopefully there'll be some marking or whatever). To cover my *rse Please check it out - don't take this as instruction - just a cautionary heads up.

Ian

By wiring as Ray suggested, do I take care what is mentioned above by Ian?
Nicolas
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2011, 12:10:48 AM »
I’m on 110/120V so when you say connect to one side of AC supply does it matter if it is Line or Neutral (Black or White)?
>> Correct

You say to connect Orange and Black together and connect to one AC input of the rectifier. Then connect the Red and Black (you mean the YELLOW) and connect to the other AC input of the rectifier.
>> Yes, I meant Red and Yellow, not Red and Black.  Sorry!

So I take a piece of wire and connect it to the PLUS of one Capacitor then continue and connect the same wire to the PLUS of the next Capacitor and then the same wire I connect to the PLUS of the rectifier.
>> Correct

Then I do the same with the MINUS
>> Correct

By wiring as Ray suggested, do I take care what is mentioned above by Ian?
>> Yes.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »
Sorry but I must be sure that I understand correctly”

So the VIOLET & BLUE together will connect to LINE (Black) and the BROWN & GRAY together will connect to NEUTRAL (White) of the AC Supply. Correct?

The GROUND (bare copper wire) from the AC supply will connect to the Aluminum box somewhere along with the NEGATIVE (Black) from the Capacitors. Correct?

I still would like to know what is the purpose of the clear plastic wrap around the Toroidal body. To me looks like a fire hazard
Nicolas