Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:26:56 AM

Author Topic: Power Supply Unit  (Read 69846 times)

Re: Power Supply Unit
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »
Looks OK, except:

1) The wire gauge you used on the secondary circuitry looks light.  It should be the same gauge as the wires coming out of the transformer.
2) The way you have the ground wired is fine, but it will make connection easier if you also run it to the terminal strip.
3) It gives me the willies seeing those AC line wires so close to that sharp sheet metal edge in the last photo....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:13 PM »
Thanks Ray for your input

1) I agree the Black wire is smaller but that’s the only Black wire I had available and wanted to finish. I will zip to the store tomorrow and get the same size as the other ones
2) Having the DC ground where it is gives ME the “Willies” LOL. I will leave the AC ground as it is and take the DC ground to the terminal strip.
3) I agree did not look right although that sheet metal edge would not even cut was. But I removed the edge as you can see from the attached photo

Much obliged for your help
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
Well it is done and all seems right.

I did the test in steps (with the help of a friend); first I only apply power to the toroidal and measure the output voltage which was 26.5ACV

Then connect the toroidal leads to the rectifier and measure the DC volts which was 23.9DCV

Then connected the capacitors and I get at the terminals 36.2DCV

Now I will install the new power supply inside the control station and connect the motors etc.

Thank you all so much for such a wonderful experience and a special thanks to Hood who inspired me to go through this experience and also sent me the two capacitors on his own expenses.
Nicolas
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
You have done a great job Nicolas. It looks really nice.
I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but be very careful with the stored energy in those caps !
Some folks recommend a resistor across them to bleed them off for safety.
Again, great job !
Russ

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Thank you Russ

Yes the stored energy inside the caps, which I didn't know before, it was mentioned to me by Hood and others

As to the resistor, I will leave it for now; I had enough heart breaking experience today testing the new unit LOL
Nicolas