Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:25:49 AM

Author Topic: I'm stuck....K2 3925 settings.  (Read 12419 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: I'm stuck....K2 3925 settings.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »
Hey Zelalous,
    McMaster carr has that too. Here is a link.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

They have it all. ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 01:23:48 AM »
Brett,
I think I'm going to be spending allot of money at McMaster carr  ;D
Thanks for the mother load of mother loads, best link I've ever gotten :-*

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 08:51:33 AM »
Your welcome Zealous,
     Yes, I agree. McMaster Carr has a ton of stuff. If they don't have it I probably don't need it. ;D Except of course Mach this forum and those eyecandy screens. :o Another good source is MSC Industrial Supply.http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
     One of my friends made a collector cap for his router. It has a hinged door that swings out of the way for bit changes. He probably has DXF. files for the pieces. He used uhmw and conveyor brush strip. I'll try to get pics., prints, and files if you would like.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline sploo

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 10:25:30 AM »
sploo,
Since I cut guitars I use the Y axis as my 39" and the X 25".

Understood. I think that may be the default configuration, as it looks to be that way round on one of the Mach 2 files I downloaded from K2's website.

I had another play last night, and managed to get the machine moving consistently with the toolpath display (i.e. clockwise is clockwise!).

Once in awhile I'll wonder why my machine isn't running smooth and come to find I forgot to have it in "Constant Velocity" mode.

Yea, this was one of the things Ron mentioned when I spoke to him. I note that the circular pocket wizard in Mach 3 was putting a G64 at the beginning of the file (which is good).

If your Limit switch's go off for no reason change your "Deboucne Interval" to around 800+, or turn off "Watch Dog"

One thing that took me awhile to get the hang of was the "Softlimits" let me know if you have any trouble and I can post some advice about them.

Yea, to get the axes working as I wanted, I've been doing quite a bit of playing with the pins and home/limits settings, as it appears you can reverse a motor from two separate dialogs.

I've yet to be able to get the soft limits working, so any advice would be appreciated. That said, when I next get time I was planning to sit down and have a good read of those areas of the Mach 3 manual (I've been slowly working my way through it).

I didn't like K2's vacuum system so I bought some plexy glass, screws(much simpler just to use aquarium glue) and a dryer vent.
Used my K2 to cut out a hole and $10 later I had a great vacuum system. It's not pretty but works great, I need to see the bit and easly change it.

I ordered the K2 unit, but later read Bill Pentz's excellent site on dust extraction, and therefore I think I will need to make something bigger myself. However, that's a job for when I've finished plumbing in my ducting and extractor (yet another big job I'm doing at the moment).

The attached pic shows how I've currently set the axes up. I would prefer the home switches were all at the origin (Y is on the wrong side) but it's logical for me, and seems to be working. Just need to think about whether I want to re-set everything up as metric instead of imperial...

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 01:03:30 AM »
Sploo,

could you post your XML file when you get everything up and running and keep this post updated with your experience for other KG users.

You probably have limit switchs but if you don't I found this useful:

"GET A NORMALLY CLOSED MOMENTARY SWITCH FROM MOUSER.com two major types of switches.
  1. THROW
  2. Momentary

ANY momentary switch that is like the ones behind the buttons on your DVD Player or radio.  Push buttons. Will work.
  Make sure the position is starting at normally closed though. Meaning the power is flowing through it until you hit the button and break the current.   This is opposite of the way a normal momentary switch works..... Get a momentary wire it in and you are off and running"

So in Mach you want the switches on active low.

For the soft limits:

First I homed all of the axis’
I moved all the axis to there extremes and wrote down the DRO reading.

My set up is like this, now looking at it can’t remember why it was difficult to setup:  ;D

Softmin Home Auto Zero
X   -23.30    0.000     yes
Y   -35.00    0,000     yes
Z   -4.80      0.000     yes
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 02:00:43 AM »
 I appreciate the comments on the thread I started. I got my K2 3925 and am prestty satisfied with it when it was set up for Mach2 but under Mach3 I struggled. I needed the Mach3 because I had purchased the tool height setting attachment from them and they said I needed to upgrade to Mach3 to use it. It would have ben nice to have the correct .xml file so I could get it up and running.
  One thing I noticed is that after I got it to run a program and move correctly that when I manually pressed a limit swithc it jogged the axis away from the switch. This was a problem as the macro they gave me to run for tool height setting was tied into one of the axis and when the plunger was depressed it jogged in linear and was a bad situation. When I turned on "emulation" on the X,Y and Z in "ports and Pins" this stopped. Now when I run the macro for tool setting which is the same as provided from Mach 3 it asks if I zeroed off the part and when saying yes it moves in the Z- direction but when the plunger is depress on the height setter nothing happens. I have gone to the diagonostics and can see the switch light up when depressing it so Im trying to figure whats up?
 Anyway Im liking it but a bit frustrated right now. I will post a picture of the final set-up thats inside of a sound dedening box with dust collection, lights and a custom machine table with fixturing when Im done. What catagory do I post any pictures of it in?
 Thanks,  Keith

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 01:15:15 PM »
Hi, Keith

"One thing I noticed is that after I got it to run a program and move correctly that when I manually pressed a limit switch it jogged the axis away from the switch."

If the axis moves the wrong way when Homing, Go to Conf., Home/Limit's check the  the Home Neg for that Axis.

Haven't had time to read all your post's though.

Hope this Helps, Chip

Offline sploo

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 06:57:40 PM »
Sploo,

could you post your XML file when you get everything up and running and keep this post updated with your experience for other KG users.

Absolutely. I was planning on posting, but I want to do a bit more tweaking to be happy that I've got a pretty decent file for others to use. I'm hoping to get time to do this in the next few days.

You probably have limit switchs but if you don't I found this useful:...

Only home switches at the moment, but I think I'll probably be adding some extra switches at some point, as I really don't want to be banging into the unprotected ends of the axes. Nice idea with the momentary switches BTW.

We have some at the place I work, so would source them from our supplier (I'm in the UK, so all these useful US suppliers like McMaster-Carr aren't really practical).

First I homed all of the axis’
I moved all the axis to there extremes and wrote down the DRO reading...

Whilst I've not played with it in a few days, that's basically what I did, and ended up with a set of numbers that looks reasonably similar. Whenever I press the button in Mach to enable softlimits, it tells me my axes are out of range.

Would like to get it working, but it's not something I'm going to lose too much sleep over!

Keith - bit poor with a tool changer sharing the pins. I suppose there is the issue of not having many input pins on a parallel port. Let us know how it goes; I'm considering making my own tool height gauge so would like to hear more about your experiences, and also to see those photos.

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 07:41:40 PM »
Looking at you're set up again, I believe your Softlimits should be in the positives+.

I have my machine set up in the far right corner and I'm going from zero out negatively.
This might be why your softlimits are being set off, also you could check your "Machine coors" as opposed to your offset to see if your over the limit.

WOW I'm confused because I notice there are two of you with the same machine asking diffrent questions in this same thread  :o ???