Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:10:36 PM

Author Topic: I'm stuck....K2 3925 settings.  (Read 12421 times)

I'm stuck....K2 3925 settings.
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:06:15 AM »
 I just got a K2 3925 and got it all set up with Mach2 and working perfectly but now upgraded to Mach3 so I can use a tool height presetter and I cannot get the machine to move. I have tried to configure everything the same but I must be missing something. Can someone with a similiar K2 setup post some screen shots or what their settings are? I feel like a real dunce right now and know it's something simple.
 Thanks for any help you can give me.
Keith

ynneb

Re: I'm stuck....K2 3925 settings.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:35:07 AM »
I have seen a few requests for K2 machine to work with Mach3.
I would ask K2 to configure their machine to Mach3 from now on. Mach2 is getting a little long in the tooth, and they should be distributing Mach3 instead.

Hood

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:31:53 AM »
Have a read through this post, it should cover most of your settings

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=999.0

Hood

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:13:40 AM »
I have a K239X25 if you need any help.

I've posted the set up file here: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0
I have the metric pertition ball screws, so you might need to tune your motor's if you don't have these.

Offline sploo

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 11:39:48 AM »
Hi Zealous,

I'm in the same position as Keith; just got a KG3925 and want to use Mach3.

Many thanks for posting the setup files - are these for the redesigned '06 version (with 3" tall x axis rails) or the older design?

By metric screws, do you mean you have the standard ABBA screws, but with the software setup to metric, or are they (physically) a different type?

EDIT:

As I'm not sure if Zealous' settings are for the '06 model, I've just downloaded (what I believe to be) the correct file for Mach 2 from K2's website (KG3925-06.xml). I then copied the settings to Mach 3 by swapping between the programs (I don't have Mach 2 on the PC attached to the machine).

With a bit of adjustment, Mach's diagnostics page shows the inputs for the home switches and e-stop to be working, so the basic connections must be right.

When I press the 'enable' button on the control box (the unit supplied by K2 with the motor controllers and power) the motors hum and make a clicking noise, but I'm unable to get them to move. Using Mach's jog control (TAB) I can get the X, Y and Z DROs to change, but the motors still don't do anything.

I've attached the Mach 3 config I'm using. Anyone got any suggestions, especially if I'm likely to be doing something dumb that would prevent Mach from actually trying to move the motors?

PS Putting my sensible hat on - of course, it would probably be best to install Mach 2 on the controller PC, use the K2 supplied config file and check that my newly delivered machine actually works. Is there any risk in overwriting any of the installed Mach 3 stuff?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 05:58:28 PM by sploo »

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 01:03:27 AM »
sploo,
Sorry about the delay,
No I have the later model the KG-3925 CNC Router Frame 39x25x5 '05 model with a physical precision metric ball screw, the step per are set to 10,160.

My motor are the DMG DAE HWA DC motor's with US Electronics encoders.

I'd first check in the "port & pins" to make sure your X Y Z signal's are enabled and are set correctly for Dir and setp (I've made this mistake before) and check your "motor tuning", because I have metric my steps are setup for 10,160.

I've gotten humming from having my Kernel speed set to 4500 and not having my motors tuned correctly.

Mach will leave all of your files untouched (besides the default Mach files like Mach3Mill.xml), you could try a number of diffrent setup files just give them diffrent names.

Which ver of Mach 3 are you using?
I'll try to think of other possabilities  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:35:28 AM by zealous »

Offline sploo

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 05:03:21 PM »
sploo,
Sorry about the delay,

Hi Zealous - you have nothing to apologise for; you've saved me a huge amount of trouble!

I eventually gave up on the config file I was working on (even after noticing I hadn't enabled the charge pump in the file I previously posted) and used the Mach 3 settings you put on this forum.

No I have the later model the KG-3925 CNC Router Frame 39x25x5 '05 model with a physical precision metric ball screw, the step per are set to 10,160.

That may explain some of the differences - I had to flip the home and estop inputs to active low.

However, I think I have the same motors, and I've left your motor settings untouched. I've not worked out the real linear speed yet, but all axes move pretty quickly, and sound very smooth.

I'm still running the demo version of Mach, though I can't think for a moment that I won't be buying a license. For that reason I can only use 25k kernel speed, but it seems to work fine.

I do need to have a play with the directions of the axes. At the moment I've got the 39" axis as X, and that runs +ve away from the home switch (to the right, from where I'm sitting).

The Z axis is currently -ve away from the home switch (down).

The Y axis is +ve away from the home switch (towards me, again from where I'm sitting).

At the moment, I haven't got the home and limits working, and if I run the circular pocket wizard (and get the machine to 'cut' a piece in mid air) it appears to be going the wrong way - e.g the toolpath moves clockwise, but the spindle is moving anticlockwise. Evidently I need to keep playing with the axis and motor reversal settings.

Mach will leave all of your files untouched (besides the default Mach files like Mach3Mill.xml), you could try a number of diffrent setup files just give them diffrent names.

I was - yours and mine, and I binned mine  :-[

Which ver of Mach 3 are you using?

1.84.001 IRC.

BTW I spoke to Ron at K2 last night (literally, it was well after midnight UK time!). He was very helpful, but basically indicated that which axis is X (the 39" or 25") and which way you consider to be +ve on an axis is basically up to the person setting up the machine. In a way I was hoping to be told what to do  ;)

He did mention a whole host of other useful stuff, including that, with a Porter-Cable 892, it should be possible to set the motors to do rapids at 300ipm.

I suspect I'll be back in the garage, tinkering again over the next few days. Plenty of  ??? and  :P, some of  :-\ and hopefully loads of  ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:06:08 PM by sploo »

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 02:14:58 AM »
sploo,
Since I cut guitars I use the Y axis as my 39" and the X 25".

The pin out on my control box is a little bit diffrent than the new KG but you should only have to change the "motor outputs" "Dir LowActive" and "Step LowActive" to change there directions.

Once in awhile I'll wonder why my machine isn't running smooth and come to find I forgot to have it in "Constant Velocity" mode.

If your Limit switch's go off for no reason change your "Deboucne Interval" to around 800+, or turn off "Watch Dog"

One thing that took me awhile to get the hang of was the "Softlimits" let me know if you have any trouble and I can post some advice about them.

The "Click" sound your getting is the encoder continually checking it's position, this is okay. I hadn't thought of it till it was completely quiet in my shop and there I heard it. You can fine tune your Gecko's but I don't believe it effects anything.

There is nothing better than Mach. Benny and others are designing some amazing screens and Art and Brain are continually adding more abilities and componets to Mach. It is the best program and is not just limited to controlling CNC machines.

I didn't like K2's vacuum system so I bought some plexy glass, screws(much simpler just to use aquarium glue) and a dryer vent.
Used my K2 to cut out a hole and $10 later I had a great vacuum system. It's not pretty but works great, I need to see the bit and easly change it.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 02:19:35 AM by zealous »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 09:33:35 AM »
Just chatting,
     Good job on the dust collector. Conveyor brush strip works well also. I only post this because it took me about two days to find it in McMaster carr. I didn't know the name of it. I second the positive emotions about Mach. It is crazy good.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
Brett
 ;D "Conveyor brush strip" ;D thats what I needed to know,Thanks Brett, I used "Pond" flooring rubber  ;D

I notice in the picture there is a  gap between the router and the Plexiglas,I usually have the Plexiglas box flush to the mount or if I drop it down I use the flooring rubber to keep suction.

I wish I could have found transparent rubber flaps, like restruant cooler have.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:50:15 PM by zealous »