Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:41:52 AM

Author Topic: How to Enable RPM in MachStd Mill  (Read 19331 times)

Re: How to Enable RPM in MachStd Mill
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »
Hi Osker,

I'm scratching my head here for ideas -
in general config, do you have an index debounce value set (i.e. a non-zero value)?
if so what is that value?

[I edited my post to add more info:]
1) After the index signal comes into mach, mach applies debounce in software.
One thought is that the index debouce may be set to a high value. If the debounce filtering is set high enough (i.e. debounce value * 40us > index pulse width), mach would be filtering out all the index pulses (thinking they are "too short" and thus are noise) - this would leave no index pulses to count and thus the RPM DRO would read zero.

2) with mach shutdown, please run drivertest.exe (found in the Mach dir), and tell me what version of the PP driver is installed.
The current version of the PP driver that is installed by 3.43.22 is 570.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:06:38 PM by DaveCVI »
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
Dave,
Where is the version shown?
Do you mean go to My Computer>Contol Panel> System >Hardware>Device Manager>and look at the properties  of the Mach3Driver in Windows?
RICH
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »
Rich,

No, not the version info that a programmer is supposed to put in that windows shows as a property of a driver.

The only way i know to get the version of the PP driver is to run the drivertest program.
Drivertest shows the mach driver version near the top of the info that driver test program displays.

Dave
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 05:18:15 AM »
This may be a stupid question but have you given Mach3 a speed command e.g. S1000 M3/4

Graham
Without engineers the world stops

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56:15 AM »
Drivertest shows the mach driver version near the top of the info that driver test program displays.

I don't see anything in the driver screen display which shows the version number........ ???

RICH

Offline Osker

•  41 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 08:38:51 AM »
Dave,

Answers to your questions are (see below):

Debounce is set to 1

Driver version is 570.

Mach version is R3.043.022

Additionally, when the same setup is running and I run the MachTurn, RPM information is displayed when I click "Spindle"

Any other suggestions?

Osker

[I edited my post to add more info:]
1) After the index signal comes into mach, mach applies debounce in software.
One thought is that the index debouce may be set to a high value. If the debounce filtering is set high enough (i.e. debounce value * 40us > index pulse width), mach would be filtering out all the index pulses (thinking they are "too short" and thus are noise) - this would leave no index pulses to count and thus the RPM DRO would read zero.

2) with mach shutdown, please run drivertest.exe (found in the Mach dir), and tell me what version of the PP driver is installed.
The current version of the PP driver that is installed by 3.43.22 is 570.

Offline Osker

•  41 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
Graham,

I am confident that the problem is a simple oversight on my part, so there is no such thing as a stupid question.

In response to your question.  Yes, I have entered various S and M values into the MIDI screen, with the spindle is turning and producing a clean square wave of about +5V P-to-p.

As mentioned in my response to Dave, the same system produces an RPM readout when running under MachTurn, so I think it reasonable to conclude that the hardware is correct.

Any other suggestions?

Osker

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »
Osker,
I seem to be running low on ideas at the moment -

When you say "the same system" shows RPM when running turn, I tend to read that as "the same hardware setup".

Is the turn setup using the same profile as the mill setup?

If the same profile is being used, thus tends to point us toward the difference being in the screen set that is loaded (mill vs trun).

However, if the profiles are different, then I tend to want to look for the difference between the profiles for clues.

Dave
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Osker

•  41 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »
Dave,

Your assumption is correct, "same system" refers to the hardware setup.  I took this a little further today and setup three identical profiles, as it pertains to the index pulse; one for MachStdMill, one for the original MachMill, and one for MachTurn.  All connected to the same machine and pulse index hardware and parallel port pin 12.  RPM readout is displayed correctly in both the original MachMill and MachTurn screens.  No RPM readout displayed in MachStdMill.

Hope this provides a clue.

Dan
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16:26 AM »
Please try this:

1) I'll call the profile that you made for the 1024 mill screen set "M3M"
2) start the mach loader; Create profile; select M3M as the "clone from" profile, make new profile name (I'll use MSM2 as my example", do not check "default profile values"; click ok
3) you will now be back to the first mach loader screen -
4) select MSM2, click OK -
5) mach will start using the new cloned profile (MSM2), it will load the 1024 screen set (as that was the screen set for the M#M profile)
6) use menus: view, load screens. select c:\mach3\MachStdMIll.set
7) you should now see mach load the MSM screens.

Check the RPM DRO - is it working for you now?

Dave

Dave,

Your assumption is correct, "same system" refers to the hardware setup.  I took this a little further today and setup three identical profiles, as it pertains to the index pulse; one for MachStdMill, one for the original MachMill, and one for MachTurn.  All connected to the same machine and pulse index hardware and parallel port pin 12.  RPM readout is displayed correctly in both the original MachMill and MachTurn screens.  No RPM readout displayed in MachStdMill.

Hope this provides a clue.

Dan
www.CalypsoVentures.com