Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:57:30 PM

Author Topic: how to bore 90 degrees  (Read 8239 times)

Re: how to bore 90 degrees
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
Ok, now you all are scaring me to death about not being able to bore to size. At present I do bore with a single bar with cutters mounted in 5 pockets. I have the depth set on each cutter so I hold under .0005. I have had all my blocks lined hone after line bore. when I finally started checking what comes off line hone, I found that .0005 was the best I found. What was off more than anything was alignment. If one hole start to get large you loosen the main cap until it falls in spec then retighten the cap. During this entire time, the hone will continue to hone on the bottom. Therefore as a result, I want to try on a CNC machine to see if I can bore just as well. Heck if It doesnt work, AINT no worse off. Now are all you smart people telling me that we cant do this. HeHeHe
racear
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:10:12 PM by racear2865 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »
Nope not at all, Anything is possible given enough time and talent(;-).

BUT mains bores must remain in perfect alignment the entire length of the block, same with cam bores and then they must align with each other AND be spaced for gear/chain spacing.

Get the bore out of alignment in any of the 4 planes and any of the 4 bores and RUT ROW.

I have never done it OR seen it done without a boring bar fixture, but that does not mean it can't be done. JUST very time extensive on setup.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:58 PM »
racear

i allready told you it can be done.build a boring head,get a cap cutter and a line hone.
now that you know it can happen,get on with it.

bill
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »
Yes I agree. I want to build the boring head. I have spent much time on the internet and have as of yet found how to do that. Apparently you know how to do that. Please share with me how to build that 90 boring head. I am not afraid to ask for this help.
racear
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
Here's a pic of the angle head from a Rottler. First build a spindle adaptor. U need some miter gears , sprockets , chain , and bearings to suit the size of your head. Don't make it any longer than needed. Thats all I can tell you without knowing what kind of machine you have.
If it was me , I'd farm  out the engine block.

A precise angle boring head is a time consuming project. How often will you be using it ?

Main bearing bores MUST be finish  LINE honed.

Ed V
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:10:08 AM by edvaness »
Ed VanEss