Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 12:34:31 AM

Author Topic: I know XP works but I am seeing that W7 does not work so well with Mach  (Read 6934 times)

Re: I know XP works but I am seeing that W7 does not work so well with Mach
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 12:59:14 PM »
I sold a bunch of older Dells that ran Mach3 just fine including one to a friend that still uses it to this day to run Mach3.
P4 2.0ghz and 512 ram.

Don't sell a cheap computer short. As you have probably read, it is the driver test that needs to run well and weather it is a Dell or a white box it really nakes no difference.

If you are running an external motion controller then pretty much any computer that meets the minimum specs will work.

I have several small form factor compaqs that will not pass the driver test but run my dspmc without any trouble.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 10:26:07 AM »
I had some installation trouble, but my router is now running Mach3 on W7 on an older computer.  You really need to make sure that the DVD you get is a 32 bit version; the normal retail or OEM DVD you find around is 64 bit.  While you can run Mach on 512MB, W7 is a pig with that little memory, although 1G seems to be enough.

Newegg does have a 32 bit version OEM 1 pack for $99 with free shipping.

Did you ask the shop if they could sell you a licensed version of XP with the machine?  They may be able to do that for less than $100.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Did you ask the shop if they could sell you a licensed version of XP with the machine?  They may be able to do that for less than $100.

The little Dell that I purchased locally has XP Pro on it with the legal activation code for XP Pro, that all came with the upgraded memory to 512mb and a seperate half-height 32mb video card, 1.8ghz Pentium-4 and a 20gb HD.  All this with a 90 warranty for $150.
I am also very happy to report that I have successfully driver-tested this little computer and then I hooked it up to the control box and everything worked like a champ.  Very happy with my purchase so far, so unless this really takes a dump I will not need W7 at this time.
Thank you all for your time,
Tom