Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:07:50 PM

Author Topic: Can I convert to Mach 3  (Read 14401 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Can I convert to Mach 3
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »
Not looked at your pics properly yet, they are a bit big ;D
Having said that what you want is your meter on its lowest resistance setting and you are looking for 0 resistance when testing between pin on port  and a wire.
 Problem you will have is that it goes through a load of electronics on that breakout board so you are not going to be very successful at it :(
I will see if I can look at the pics closely and I may be able to work out where the traces go, but will probably be later today as I have a fair bit of work to get on with.

Hood
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 10:35:30 AM »
Hood,

I can resize the pics

I know the board has a load of electronics on it - and that confuses the heck out of me.

That board also controls the spindle drive, and the override stops.

Being that I am not an electronics person - I will not be able to rewire anything.

Later tonight - I will resize some pics - and retest with the ohm meter on a different setting.

Leo
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:44 PM »
Hi Leo,
If you lived near my I would love to come over and help.
It could be straightened out in a hour or two in person.

It looks like the purple, gray and green wires are just step, direction and common. Not that I can tell which is which at this distance.

Worst case you get a G540 and connect directly to the steppers and bypass all the existing stuff. If your power supply is under 50v and your motors take less than 3.5 amps.

CAUTION. The exposed terminals on the large cap can hurt you real bad if you touch them while the power is on.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »
Actually thinking about it, have you contacted Larry Kenny to ask if he can give you the pinouts, he may even be able to give you an xml if you are lucky.
Failing getting any info it may just be as quick to start Mach and assign some generic settings and see how things go, for example just set up only the X axis first and put pin 2 for step and 3 for direction and make sure you enable it and enter Port 1 for both Step and Dir. Once thats done you could see if you can get out of reset, if you cant then change the active state of the E-Stop in ports and pins and see if it is OK now, if it is then see if X will jog. If not then try putting Pin 6 as Dir  and try again.

Hood
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »
I have been asking Larken for help - but getting no answers.

I sent emails and I posted at CNC zone.

I don't know why, no help is offered?

I am not going to ask for help for pin out configuration, or anything else, I just get frustrated when I get no help from support.

I also need help getting better repeatability from my "Z" axis.  I am not sure if it is stepper related or hardware related.  I think the leadscrew might be bad, but I don't know what to order.

I want to convert over to Mach 3 because I feel I can get better support and help.

Anyway - I do like your idea about trying the pinout configurations in the software.  Sounds tedious, but I am very patient.

I also like that Mach 3 recommends doing the trial first before purchasing.

I will do it - but I am in the middle of another project also.  It will be a few days.

I am excited about the Mach 3 --- I think it will help me to control the 3D stuff and get better results from my "Z" axis repeatability problem.  I still think my lead screw might be bad though.  Wish Larken would help with this. 

It's actually a pretty nice machine - but I need support. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
Not so good, have never dealt with Larken so cant comment on his support but it certainly doesnt sound good from your experience :(

Shouldnt be too much hassle getting it running, even with the trial and error approach :)
Hood
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 05:41:23 PM »
Hi Leo,

It looks like the purple, gray and green wires are just step, direction and common. Not that I can tell which is which at this distance.

Worst case you get a G540 and connect directly to the steppers and bypass all the existing stuff. If your power supply is under 50v and your motors take less than 3.5 amps.

CAUTION. The exposed terminals on the large cap can hurt you real bad if you touch them while the power is on.

Mike

Mike,

I am in southeastern Mass - about 45 minutes south of Boston -- another 20 minutes south and you get you feet wet in the Atlantic --- I would love the visit.

BTW - thank you for the warning.  That IS something I "would" do

Leo
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
Not so good, have never dealt with Larken so cant comment on his support but it certainly doesnt sound good from your experience :(

Shouldnt be too much hassle getting it running, even with the trial and error approach :)
Hood

Actually Larry from Larken just emailed me.

He said if it's an older machine it might be best for me to convert to Mach 3

I asked for the pin config and anything else I would need. 

Hopefully he gets back to me with some info.

I'll be back after I hear from Larken.

Leo
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »

Hi Leo,

Mike

Mike,

I am in southeastern Mass - about 45 minutes south of Boston -- another 20 minutes south and you get you feet wet in the Atlantic --- I would love the visit.

BTW - thank you for the warning.  That IS something I "wo
Hi Leo,

Mike

Mike,

BTW - thank you for the warning.  That IS something I "would" do

Leo
uld" do

Leo
Hii Leo,
I am in north central CT.
Boston is about 2 hours from here. If Larken helps you out great if not we could arrange a house call.
If nothing else a visit from a fellow enthusiast is always fun.

Send me a PM with your email and we can chat further offline.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
Mike I am ALWAYS ALWAYS up for meeting new people and making new friends.

ESPECIALLY those who have any interest at all in woodworking - and in CNC.

My son lives in Bridgeport Ct.