Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:00:17 AM

Author Topic: Spindle drive problems.  (Read 17319 times)

Re: Spindle drive problems.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 06:18:14 AM »
Hi Hood would not have a clue on xml sending, however been down the shed (workshop) this morning tidied up the wiring and fixed everything in and spread the wires out and the rotational creep problem has dissapeard. you were right it looked like electrical noise. The only thing it wont do is an M4 (reverse) aint bothered with that as I can't think of a situation where i will need it, I do tapping on my steam trains by hand. Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »
I have not looked at your drive info so not sure how that works with reverse but will see if I can find the link in the previous posts.
I remember saying you had an ATC but cant remember what type of mill this is, if its a Boxford I have just finished a macro and  ladder for a guys  toolchanger and its working well so you are welcome to it if you want. It would mean you would need to get a PLC though so maybe you dont want to go that far at the moment.

Hood

Edit, I have just seen in the first post its a Denford so ladder probably wouldnt be any use :(
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »
Hi Hood  just cut my first job, nameplate for my granson took about 20mins. All fine however I notoced the motors run a bit warm, they aint that hot but when I used to use the denford software they stayed cool. I have an enable option on my stepper and my spindle drive will this cut down the temperature of the motors or am I worrying about nothing.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »
Steppers do tend to get hot so unless they are so hot that you cant touch them for more than a few seconds I dont think you need worry.

Hood
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 03:16:01 AM »
Hi Hood I set up the spindle according to the tutorial video troubleshooting, You know I can't get the spindle to reverse. well in the video its shows CW and CCW using the same output. So I set output 1 for both with pin 16 & 17 according to my breakout board instructions. Do you think if I set CCW as output 2 and used pin 16 & 17 again it would work. If it goes in the same direction I tick the dir section. As I said I'm new to electronics so don't like changing things with seeking advice.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:15 AM »
Can your spindle drive actually control the direction, just has a quick look at it and only thing I could see was it said if motor ran the wrong way to reverse the armature wires. That would seem to suggest that you cant change motor direction with that drive.
Hood
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »
Yep I think it does the old denford programming had an M3 and M4, it also had a tapping subroutine as one of its options. Would it do any harm if I assigned output 2 with the same pins as output 1? that is pins 16 & 17.
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
Just checked the manual for the lynx08 drive board, it does have a reverse option and dynamic breaking, what ever that means.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
 I saw it said that but afraid I cant see how it does it. I would imagine internally it must switch the armature around but I would think there has to be an input to tell it which way to go and the only input I see is 0 to 10 volt. If it had been like an analogue servo drive then it would be easy as they take -10 to +10v so direction can be changed depending on the input polarity, that doesnt seem to be the case here though :(

Do you know how the original control connected to the drive?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »
Actually just looked again, it says Unidirectional, that to me suggests it can only go one way. I wonder if the Denford wiring had contactors which controlled the polarity of the windings?
Hood