Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:15:40 AM

Author Topic: Spindle drive problems.  (Read 17212 times)

Spindle drive problems.
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:19:22 PM »
Those who have been following my trial and tribulation converting my Denford Triac to run with Mach 3. Got it all working except the spindle. I'm using a spindle drive card supplied by DIYCNC and have wired it up to the LYNX spindle drive system on the Machine. I have check to make sure the LYNX internal relay comes in, IT DOES. However cant get the spindle to rotate, I don't seem to have a signal out from the OUT and 0v pins. Should I have a low voltage or a pulse to control the speed. there is a 12v connector on the DIYCNC spindle card do I need a connection to this to get a voltage or am I wrong. HELP please.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle drive problems.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Any links to these drives?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:03:27 AM »
Hi Hood, I think the Lynx board has blown but not sure. the link for the manual is
http://www.transdrive.co.uk/dc-drives/control-techniques/lynx.asp
Mach3 is linked via a Breakout board and spindle card from http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/system1.html  its the system 1 breakout board, scroll down and it shows the spindle card attached, the manual is on the same page. Been in touch with the inverter supermarket and they say there is a equivalent replacement it the SSD 512C rated at 6amps so might just go for it. Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:36:35 AM »
You should be able to check that your spindle board is functioning properly by MDI'ing a M3S**** and measuring the voltage, if **** is your Max speed you should get 10V out.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:51:51 AM »
Cheers Hood, I'm a little confused as to where the 10v comes from, at the moment I have the spindle board pluged into the system 1 board and the 12v supply light is on. I have the connection to close the internal relay on the lynx board, I know that OK. So if I connect an multimeter to the 0V and the OUT wires going to the lynx board I should get a voltage when I put an M3 S1000. So does the 10v come from the system 1 board or do I need to do something with the 12v connection? Sorry to be so thick but don't want to blow anything up as I'm so near to getting it all going.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 06:59:35 AM »
Not really sure about your board as I dont think I saw an actual manual on the site for the speed control. I did see one but not sure if its the same as the one you are using.
The wires that go to your VFD would be where you want to measure the voltage, it would normally range between 0 and 10v depending on the commanded speed.
Do you have a direct link to the manual for the board you are using?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
Ok Hood just checked the output to the 0v and OUT pins, I'm getting nothing, the internal relay is pulling in on the lynx board but no signal when putting in a S600, the only thing is have I set the Mach3 software correct? the system 1 board uses pin 16 or 17 to control the spindle, so set that, obviously using port 1. Do tick the relay button or leave it blank? tried both. I have tried several combinations of pins and settings but cant get a voltage to the 0v and OUT pins. The spindle drive instructions are on that site www.diycnc.co.uk there is only one page on the spindle card, thats how I knew it used pins 16 and 17 for the spindle. Jim
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:13:54 AM »
Hood just noticed the spindle part of the manual can be found on the system 4 manual, its on page 10.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
It seems to be Step signal that it takes and converts to 0-10v but not much more info :(
I presume you will need to enable the spindle in Ports and Pins, Motor page and set pin 16 for step and 17 for Dir. Then I would think you will need to also go into motor tuning and set some values in there for the spindle but what I am not really sure as I have only ever used real Step and Dir spindles (Servo motors)
Also when you are doing the MDI I presume your have a M3 there as well as the S600?
Hood
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:01:43 AM »
Yep I've tried everything, are you saying that the spindle card sends out a pulse not a constant voltage or should I be getting a set voltage, only I'm beginning to think its the LYNX08 unit thats at fault. As I said before I aint got a clue about electronics, do you think the DIYCNC board sends out a voltage or does it send a pulse that get converted in the LYNX08 card. I'm thinking of buying a new SSD513C unit but dont want to spend £110 and still have a problem. Your advice is much appreciated, thanks