Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:00:32 PM

Author Topic: Spindle drive problems.  (Read 17216 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle drive problems.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »
The spindle board will take in Step pulse from the parallel port and convert that to a voltage. The voltage will depend on the speed you set in Mach, ie the faster the speed the higher the pulse rate that the spindle board will get and the higher the voltage it will put out. The output voltage will be a steady voltage.
 If you are not getting a voltage out of the spindle board then either it is not working or you have Mach configured wrongly.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 08:39:08 AM »
Cheers mate, I'm now even more convinced its the LYNX08 unit. When I started this project it was because the Denford software told me it was an Toochanger problem, unfortunatly the spindle needs to stop in a set rotation so you never know if the fault was with the ATC or the spindle. I suspect its the spindle drive. Hood thanks for you advice I will keep you posted, going on Holidays (to Scotland) not your side, the west coast, will forget the dam spindle and sort it out when I get back. Can you tell them Scottish midges to leave me alone, I get bitten to buggery every time I come up, if it aint the midges its the gale force winds or the rain. (why do I like Scotland so much must be mad) Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 09:07:15 AM »
Ha ha well you make the mistake of going to the wrong coast, over this side the midges are a lot less, the wind can be as bad if not worse but here on the Angus coast we are amongst  one of the driest parts of the UK :)

Hood
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »
Benn over that side several times, it still rains. There's a new Caravan Club site near you we are going to later in the summer.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »
Maybe you just attract the rain ;D
Heres an average map rainfall for Scotland, I live at the arrowed part :)

Hood
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:10:32 AM by Hood »
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
I have some good news, but before I tell you remember all English men are not a thick as two short planks, indeed some Scotsmen are not the full shilling (Gordon Brown). I forgot to set the spindle port on the ports and pin settings to port 1. Its working now but needs a bit of fine tuning the spindle starts running slowly after M5 is called, and I cant get it to reverse. The only way to stop it running slowly after asking for M5 is to turn the machine off, so I must be getting a signal from somewhere on the machine as even closing down the computer doesn't stop it. Still a minor problem I'm sure I can sort out. (with a little help for Hood) Cheers mate

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:11 AM »
Good news indeed :)

Oh BTW heres a wee story to show what we think of that man up here ;)

Tragedy

GORDON BROWN was visiting a Scottish primary school and the class was in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings.

The teacher asked Mr. Brown if he would like to lead the discussion on the word 'Tragedy'.
So our illustrious leader asked the class for an example of a 'Tragedy'.

A little boy stood up and offered, "If ma best freen, wha’ lives on a ferm, is playin' in the field and a tractor rins ower him and kills him, that wid be a tragedy."

"Incorrect", said Gordon, in his best trying-not-to-sound-too-Scottish-accent, "That would be an accident."

A little girl raised her hand, "If a school bus kerryin' fifty children drove ow’r a cliff, killing a'body inside, that wid be a tragedy"

'I'm afraid not', explained Gordon, "that's what we would refer to as a great loss’’.

The room went silent. No other children volunteered. Gordon searched the room.
"Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"

Finally, at the back of the room, a wee lad raised his hand and, in a quiet voice, said:
"If a plane kerryin' you and Mr. Darlin' wiz struck by a 'freendly fire' missile & blawn tae smithereens, that wid be a tragedy."

"Fantastic!" exclaimed Gordon, "and can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?"

"Weel", says the lad, "it has tae be a tragedy, because it certainly widnae be a great loss, and it probably widnae be a f*cking accident either!"

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
Brilliant.
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »
Hi Hood finally got everything set up its been a long time but worth it. Your help was much appreciated. There is just one  small problem you might hava a soloution to. When I do an M5 the spindle stops, then about a minute later it starts to rotate forward at about 10 revs per min. Nothng stops it, even closing down MACH3 or turning off the computer. To stop it I have to switch the machine off, it then doesent start rotoating providing I dont put any M codes in. The next time I put an M3S500 all works fine, then as soon as I stop it 60secs later it start rotatng slowley again. I'm starting to understand electronics and assume I'm getting a low voltage signal somewhere, or is it because our house uses natural gas for cooking? Told you I'm getting good at this electronic stuff. Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:24 PM »
Seems strange, my first thought was electrical noise but because it only happens after you have commanded a M3 it seems unlikely.
Can you attach your xml just in case there is a problem in your config.
Hood