Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:15:42 PM

Author Topic: Program Safety Lockout problem  (Read 17994 times)

Program Safety Lockout problem
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:28:38 AM »
Has anyone had any experience using this? I have set up a perimeter guard with interlock on Input #1 and checked the "program safety" block under general config. Every time I open the interlock switch, the machine does not stop immediately and I also loose complete position from my workpiece coordinate, even though it shows that my work coordinates are correct. Would I be better off wiring this interlock switch in series with my E-Stop button?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Program Safety Lockout problem
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »
The Programme safety lockout is meant so that code cant be run if a guard (or whatever you have connected) is open. It is not meant for stopping in a controlled manner if you open a guard whilst code is running, if you do that it will stop the code but as you have found it will lose your position and you will need to re-home.
One option as you say is to use the guard switch as an E-Stop, depends how you have the E-Stop string wired. Another option would be to have some form of lock (solenoid etc) so that when code is running you cant open the guard until the motion has stopped.

Hood
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:40:21 AM by Hood »
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
I don't know how it is supposed to function, but if you have code running, then activate output 1 Mach stops like you say but then when you deactivate 1, Mach resumes.
Probably not a good idea to have it this way ?
Should at least require a restart button press.
Also, If no code is running, and 1 is activated then hit Cycle Start nothing will happen....till you deactivate IN1 then it starts automatically.
I've never seen any lockout work this way. They ALWAYS require a reset and restart.
The function maybe should be:
   If Mach is running, it functions as an EStop.
   If not running, it inhibits RUN and doesn't allow RUN to latch the way it does and requires a restart once IN1 is not active.
Just seems safer.
 If you Feed Hold, then activate IN1 to disable the running, then hit START it will come off of Feed Hold then resume when the guard is closed and IN1 deactivates. Stuff shouldnt start, or be able to with the closure of a door or gate.

Russ

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »
Thanks for the input Russ. I agree with you completely. I think if I wire the gate interlock switch in series with the e-stop button that I will accomplish stopping all motion if the door interlock is opened. The operator will just have to do a homing operation before he starts up again if the door is inadvertently opened.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »
Russ, yes I agree as well, I dont use it on the mill but still do on the lathe. However what I use it for on the lathe is to alert Mach that a drive has faulted but I also have other outputs from my drives that will stop all others and also will E-Stop. So long and short I dont use it the way it is supposed to be used so have never seen the problems with it that you have mentioned.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »
 Hood,
 How do have the Lockout function configured to alert Mach of a drive fault ?
Is there an led associated with it ?
?
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
Now you are asking LOL, it was a few years ago now. I think it is just input like normal (input 1) which will stop the code if a drive faults, but also I have outputs from the drives that will drop out the other drives and if I remember they will also E-Stop Mach but will have to check as I never get a servo fault, will have to pull an encoder to see what happens ;D

Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 03:03:25 PM »
Ah..OK.
So you have multiple funtions for IN 1 ?  
Thought maybe if SAFETY was checked, it was dedicated to that alone and would be ignored elsewhere.
Russ

Dont go pulling nothin apart, you might not get it back right. :) just curious.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:05:08 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
I will have a look tomorrow, if I remember ;)
Hood
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »
I'm having a problem with the program safety lockout
when checked everything works great

the problem I am having it that if I shut down Mach3 its not persistent.

meaning every time I call up Mach3 I have to recheck the lockout
it was working but I'm not sure what I did to stop this from being persistent any Ideas?