Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:24:52 PM

Author Topic: Feed Hold and Single Issues  (Read 10382 times)

Feed Hold and Single Issues
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »
I have a small program that am testing with Mach3 Lathe. I want to step through the program but it appears there is no way of knowing if step mode is on. Am I wrong about this? I can't find any indicator that tells the status of the toggle. So what I do is push cycle start and if the programs starts to run more than one block without stopping I push Feed Hold. However when I do that the program does not stop. It appears the only way I can stop it to hit STOP. Can any one explain how Feed Hold is supposed to work and if there is anyway of knowing what mode Single is in? Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Hold and Single Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »
If you are meaning Single Block then what you do is press that button and the LED at the side of it should flash to let you know you are in single block mode, then Start and it  will move one  line of code, start, it will move the next etc etc.

Feedhold should stop the motion, how fast will depend on the acceleration of you motor tuning but should be fairly quick.
Stop should only be used as an E-Stop when in motion or can be used to clear the buffers if for example you have previously done a feedhold and wish to restart the code. If you press Stop while an axis is moving then it is likely that you will lose position and need to re-reference your machine.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »
The original TURN screen doesnt have the led.
When I was using the original lset I added a flashing red one..OEM 82 w/screen4.
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
Hood,
Add Russ's comment above to the list of things to do for the lathe screen update in Ver 4.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »
Thanks for those comments. I am running the R3.042.033 Version of Turn. I see no LED next to that button. Are you possibly referring to Mill? Is the fix mentioned by Russ something I can try?

Feed Hold is working for me in my office unconnected to my machine so I will check on that again in my shop later to day. Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:14:24 PM »
I was meaning Turn but I use my own screen so I just assumed (wrongly) the LED was on the standard screen.
Yes you can use one of the screen designer programmes and add the LED yourself.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »
Just tell me if I am asking for too much hand holding, but where do I look for information on customized screens. I know there is a wiki site and have looked at it, but is there any section of it or some place elsewhere that gives an overview what goes on when you try this? Do people have Screens they share? I know there is a forum on Screens, but I wonder if there is a beginner orientation anywhere? Thanks, Frank

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »
Think there may be a video on Screen4 but its fairly simple to make a screen yourself. I like Screen4 others hate it and prefer MachScreen. Just use one and mess about with it, it will soon become clear how to use it.
There are screensets available from the Download button at the top of the form.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »
HMM....Phil, were are you? maybe you can add the above to you screen set.

Fallen,
Suggest you use Phil's screen instead of the standard one, but, that's just my nickle.
RICH
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
Ok, thanks for all that advice, but I don't know what it means to download a screenset. Of courses, I know what downloading is and I can guess that a screenset is some sort of template that dictates how screens are laid out, but what are the mechanics of screensets? I have looked in my iindex, no such word. 

Phil has pointed out to me the benefit of using the Find command in Adobe. I do that and find one reference. It is typical of the ambiguity that I find so frustrating about this manual.  It says, in passing, talking about the DriverTest utility that:

"Other programs such as a screen designer and a manipulator for screenset files are available as a separate download."

Nowhere, as best I can tell, does it tell you what a screenset file is or how it is used. Can somebody point me to some instructions?  I hope these aren't unreasonable questions. Frank