Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:37:39 AM

Author Topic: locked motor  (Read 15195 times)

Re: locked motor
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. You have been a great help. :)

I was looking on the breakout board and trying to figure out which port I would use to turn on the tool.  I know a relay would be needed but 2 questions arise.  Which port to wire the DC trip to activate the relay to run the AC tool and what type of relay is needed?  ???

Once or if this can identified, could I use a similar setup to control a tool coolant pump?  :-\

Can Mach be programed to estimate and control the RPM of the tool since there is no encoder in the tool? ???
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:48:41 AM by Stubby1 »
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 11:37:45 AM »
I use micro switches from Maplins, they have been fine and are repeatable within a few thou and so far havn't been bothered by swarf and coolant splash.
I'm sure they'll fail some time but they are really cheap and easy to replace.
Wire them in series then you only use one pin and use them N/C so that if a wire is broken or pulled off then you know right away and not when it's too late.

Steve

Steve
Thanks for your suggestions. 
I am heading to the electronic store now to get the switches and wiring now.  I will also check with them to see if they might have a solution for the tooling relay idea I mentioned to Hood.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »
Any of the outputs could be used to do that for both spindle and coolant. What kind of spindle do you have and is the speed variable now and if so how do you vary it?
Hood
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
I appreciate your info and patience with me.
The tool is an off the shelf rotary Roto Zip up to 30000 rpms. Currently is not setup with RPM control and I was thinking of using a manual variable speed controller.  I was thinking if it could be wired up and used thru Mach would be better.
I would need a relay to activate the tool, right? Could Mach control the RPMs also? What type of setup would I need to have Mach send inputs to another variable speed controller?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
Afraid I know nothing about roto zip, is it DC or mains? If the controller can take a 0 to 10v voltage for speed then you can buy boards that will allow Mach to control the speed.
Hood

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:22 PM »
I am totally clueless on how to get my limit switches wired and configured in Mach.
I have went over the instructions several times and the information for the breakout board is not helpful either.
Any suggestions ?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »
Oh, I don't know what ports/pins etc to use either to trigger the tool.
It is all hard to me, but the instructions on the break out board really suck.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 01:36:32 AM »
I forgot to add new pictures of the close to finished machine.
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 01:18:38 AM »
I am going to ask probably a question that I should be able to find out.
What does Step Pin #, Dir Pin #, Port # mean?
Pin #, I am guessing, is referring to the actual pin number located in the parallel cable?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
Yes the pin number is as you say and port number is the port you have it set to, with Mach you can use two parallel ports so it will either be 1 or 2. With other devices there can be more ports, for example if you are using Modbus device such as a PLC it is Port 0, if you have a SmoothStepper  you have Ports 1, 2 and 3. If you have a PoKeys that gets set to Port10.

Hood