Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:18:27 AM

Author Topic: Re-start the program from a different line  (Read 10220 times)

Re-start the program from a different line
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »
Hey everyone,

I would like to know if it possible to re-start a program from a different line, not the 1st one.

I remember I tried to do it once but the axes moved strangely and hit the piece.

Anyone can explain me how to do it correctly if it is even possible?

Thanks!!
Re: Re-start the program from a different line
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »
"Run from here" will do it and will also warn you of the axis moves that will happen to do it. Works fine - done it many times. Scroll through the program to your starting point and click on "run from here". Mach will run through the program up to your line and wait for the 'cycle start' - then you get the warning. The spindle will need to be manually started - F5.

Bill C.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »
As Bill says Run From Here will do it, when you press Start a prep move box will pop up and you can choose to start the spindle by checking the box there. My coolant automatically starts but some people say theirs doesnt so check yours does. Also check that the coordinates it is giving in the prep move are correct before pressing OK. It is also advisable to have a safe Z set up so that the Z will raise before X and Y moving and thus will hopefully avoid any collisions.
Last thing to say is this is only a feature with the full version of Mach, if you are using the demo version the  Run From Here does not work.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:10:50 AM »
Hey guys,

thanks for your fast and helpful answers as always.

Regarding the safe Z I didn't quite get what does it mean.

Let's say if I use a safe Z of 3mm what will happen? Note that I'm talking about Mach for Lathe.

Thanks again and regards
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
Saumur,

There is no such thing on the lathe "Safe Z" it applies to the mill where the spindle will raise up an amount but normally it would raise up fully.

I've used the mill for a couple of years but the lathe scared the @~$* out of me for a month when using it. ;D

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »
Hi Phil,

I understand, so the safe Z is useless on lathe.

One last important thing, when the axes move to prepare to start from a line is there a way to move the Z before the X so the part does not collide?

This is because the axes move at the same time and of course they collide with the piece.

If anyone knows the answer to this it would be really appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
Ah ok didnt realise it was a lathe, must have missed that :(
Think you can set a rapid Dia in the prep move box, should not go in further than that until the Z is the correct distance, but test cutting air first as I very rarely use Run From Here on the lathe.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »
Saumur,

Sorry i'm not brave enough for that yet.

Listen to Hood as an ex fisherman he must be brave enough to try it. ;D ;D ;D

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:05:33 AM »
Seems no one is brave enough! :P

Anyway I did a test and when positioning it moves the X first and the Z second. Let me say this is really stupid since in a lathe this means piece collide.

If anyone knows a trick to invert this (Z first and X second) please let me know!!

Thanks again :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Just tried it here, went to the code line, pressed run from here, pressed start, made sure the spindle was checked, entered the X Dia for rapid and pressed enter. Spindle starts, X goes to dia I set, Z moves then X goes into programmed dia. Press start and off it goes.
So looks like its working as I would expect, do you think it should be different?

Hood