Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:38:30 AM

Author Topic: Supplier of small quantities of Titanium and machining recommendations  (Read 16636 times)

Re: Supplier of small quantities of Titanium and machining recommendations
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 06:35:24 AM »
Grade 2, or CP is going to be the easier to machine of the common grades, way better than 6-4. Cuts real nice using insert tools in the lathe and carbide end mills.  I've never had issue with any Ti that I didn't want to be on fire catching on fire, but try and plan my Ti jobs as close to net shape as possible to minimize waste/cost, and I don't let chips pile up all over things.  People make it sound like the stuff is just waiting to catch fire, not really the case, just a little common sense really.

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
Wow, it sound like I'm making something major!

The chemical resistance I was wanting is a biological product, a waste product to most of us, it's for a errrr..... toilet seat hinge :-)

I did a search and found that titanium is used for resistance to corrosion in some sewage treatment areas, so I thought I'd try to get some small quantities. Yes I know, overkill, but it could be a fun project and a talking point. Hinges that cost more than the toilet.

I also have some nice sycamore that I'm going to make the seat and cover from as well, cut down in our own garden and slabbed for us by the local tree man.

Now I bet no one guessed that use ehh. ;-)

Steve
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
think i might go and have a long sit down to consider all of the above now

Julian
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
A library seat hinge....that's pretty darned important I would say!

Bill C.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
Wow, it sound like I'm making something major!

You are bowber.  ;) We are just concerned for you.......... since the last thing we want to see is failure of your device due to insufficient consideration of application of a material to its enviroment. You don't want the device ending up in a place it dosen't belong. Most folks have enough junk in the trunk and don't need anymore.  This is a public safety concern so don't minimise it.  ;D

RICH

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 04:36:25 AM »
Well, now that the application is know, I can see the need for Titanium. Ferric Chloride is child's play compared to CBT (Caustic Burrito Turd) . . . . LOL!! In fact, titanium's resistance to CBT pitting indicates that the entire seat should be made from that material. CBT can adhere to wood and then contaminate any subsequent contact . . .  :'(

OK, seriously, titanium is an excellent choice for a toilet seat hinge with only one small concern . . . . the application is in an environment where the presence of methane gas could be ignited by a cigarette and in turn catch the hinges on fire which would then burn a hole in your ass . .  ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Titanium toilet seat hinges . . OMG . . . what next . . . too funny.

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 06:32:48 AM »
No need to worry about the cigarette/methane gas interface as non of us smoke, well not cigarettes anyway  ;D

The entire seat.... now there's a thought.

As to the material. I've thought it through carefully, resistance to chemical attack, strength to weight ratio (toilet seats are always overloaded) and overpriced, perfect!

Steve
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »
Ferric chlodide does not come in titanium bottles  . .  probably because there are cheaper alternatives.
No arguments to any of your points, simpson36.  I just pointed out ferric chloride because there are hundreds of guys who are microwaving it and using it in Tupperware on their Kitchen tables to etch DIY PCB's, it is so common.

And FeCl is large in my consciousness because I'm finishing up on my latest spray etching tank http://www.prototrains.com/etch3/etch3.html where I have a titanium heater and titanium "spider" for holding the workpiece.

Early on in my etching learning curve, I had an impeller pump that quit working, and when I disassembled it, I found that the impeller shaft had disappeared.  Fortunately I had some 1/8" alumina rod that I could substitute for the shaft.

(Delayed posting because my motherboard died and it took me 2 days to get the old MB and video card up and running... :( )

Randy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:00:10 PM by zephyr9900 »
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
The entire seat.... now there's a thought.
No worries, Steve.  Most all plastics are immune to the "effluents".  10mm PVC sheet would do very well. :)

Randy
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »
Dang, I wish "quote" wasn't so close to "modify"...  :-\  Where's the "delete" button anyway?

Randy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:01:25 PM by zephyr9900 »