Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:08:49 AM

Author Topic: Mach Controls On/Off of spindle, not speed?  (Read 15747 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
Re: Mach Controls On/Off of spindle, not speed?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »
Hmmm, I'm looking at the manual right now, and I don't see where it says to set it to pin zero.  I believe you got it from there, just don't see where.  I think I'll just wire this as a simple trigger to turn on/off my spindle, and control the speed externally by hand.  I can't get it to work the way it's showing in the documentation.

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
It's there in the chapter "Pulse width modulated spindle control", page 5-16 in manual beta rev 7-57. Works for STEP/DIR control mode as well. I'm using latest Mach version. Beside, you can set most output pins to 0.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:30:43 PM by ftec »

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »
Ah, it's my understanding that we are doing Step and Direction spindle control, no?, not PWM.  I didn't even look at the PWM section for this.

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »
Yes we are, but in C11 card the step pin# in Motor Outputs/Spindle delivers a step pulse of which FRQ is turned into an analog voltage, like a charge pump. The FRQ and the ON TIME of that pulse determines the voltage seen at the analog output. So the step pin in the Motor Outputs/spindle determines the analog voltage and you set the Dir pin on the right to it to 0 (=nothing). The motor ON and OFF & CW and CCW can then be operated with the relays.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:02:48 PM by ftec »

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 04:03:56 PM »
Yes we are, but in C11 card the step pin# in Motor Outputs/Spindle delivers a step pulse of which FRQ is turned into an analog voltage, like a charge pump. The FRQ and the ON TIME of that pulse determines the voltage seen at the analog output. So the step pin in the Motor Outputs/spindle determines the analog voltage and you set the Dir pin on the right to it to 0 (=nothing). The motor ON and OFF & CW and CCW can then be operated with the relays.

PS. So same arrangement is/can be used in Spindle setup for PWM and STEP/DIR.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:05:55 PM by ftec »

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 04:31:29 PM »
Alright, I'm setting it to that, dir pin 0 and I'm getting the same result.  The spindle spins, but it then crashes mach3.  I decided to go back and just go to the single on/off trigger, and disregard speed.  Now, this is also crashing Mach3.  I had that working before.  Argh, something is really wrong here.

Barry

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
A friendly warning, you should measure and check all outputs to see that everything is working perfectly before connecting to and running the actual machine.

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 04:48:27 PM »
Oh, I've checked and rechecked everything else, all motors, and switches, e-stops function correctly.  It's only the spindle at this point.  I'll disconnect all that portion and start over after lunch.

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
And be sure to understand how your VFD is operated, mine has 24V outputs which must be grounded and Reset must be activated in between when changing spindle direction.

Another option for the CW/CCW + ON /OFF would be to use the Motor Outputs/Spindle Dir pin# to drive the first relay to change direction and then M3 and M4 both set to use the other relay for Spinde enable by setting a same output # for both. In this concept whether you choose M3 or M4 the enable goes on. When you program M5 the relay goes off.  The problem in this is IMO that you can change direction on the fly while the spindle still is enabled, but this may not be a problem to someone else.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:17:44 PM by ftec »

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »
Argh, I'm not any closer, I can get it the spindle to turn on, but Mach immediately crashes.  For the life of me, I can't seem to figure this out.  I did notice one thing.  If I have my VFD turned off.  Mach3 doesn't crash.  I can select to turn on and off the spindle, and you can hear the relays turning off and on, this won't carsh.  However, when the VFD is turned on, and I do the same thing, this crashes Mach3.

From your last comment, I can see how it would be a problem to change directions.  This will also set off an alarm on my VFD.  I haven't seen the VFD error out this whole time though, so I don't think that's the issue I have.

This is so frustrating.  You have no idea how cool it is to have this giant machine begging to be used, and be held back by this!

Barry