Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:37:20 AM

Author Topic: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 212853 times)

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
Re: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 06:23:13 AM »
Just checked www.fanucge.com  that Model 6 Spindle motor £4777,00 GBP!!!!!!
Not sure on the drive as I couldn't see the model number on the pics you have.
John

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 06:27:05 AM »
 I think this is the drive that normally goes with the Model 6 motor   A06B-6044-H009   Ge Fanuc price      £7466,00 GBP!!!!!!
John.
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »
John

Thanks for the advice as you raise some good points.  We do have very nice Fanuc hardware here, but 3 phase is not an option for me.  Sure I could get a rotary phase converter that draws 25Amps just sitting on the floor with nothing connected to it (we have one that we use to test 3 phase hardware before its converted to single phase, but we would not use it to run a machine full time, its very inefficient).   3 Phase, Single Phase, DC Bus, … you have think about power, each time you convert it, you lose some.   

The Spindle Motor is AC 3 Phase for speed control only, the power input to the VFD or Fanuc Spindle drive doesn’t really matter it terms of performance as the VFD and Fanuc Spindle Driver convert the input power into a 500 to 800VDC Bus.  Then they pulse width modulate this DC Bus to generate 3 Phase with a frequency range of 0.1Hz to 200.0Hz to control the RPMs of the Spindle while generating a voltage to match the motor voltage of 200VAC.

The rigid tapping feature is a good point.  The old Fanuc Spindle drive had spindle orientation electronics on it used for the ATC Load/Unload spindle orientation and for rigid tapping.   Mach3 supports rigid tapping as long as the hardware inputs are available, mainly a spindle rotation pulse (many others here on the forum use this feature).  The old sensors are still on the Spindle and generate a quadrature output during rotation and the rotation pulse, so we should be able to use the ATC and rigid tap.  However, I have not tested this feature yet.

JH
ATC Tool Carousel Issue
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
When we purchased this machine, it was none functional.  The ATC was not working and the Y Axis had some issues as indicated by the owner.  The ATC Tool Carousel had a 200VAC Motor used to rotate the carousel and a starting capacitor located in the electronics cabinet.  My guess is, the stock electronics would change the motor poll connected to staring cap to change its direction during startup of the motor (most AC motors can run in both directions depending on how the starter capacitor is connected).  I didn’t fully investigate this as I planned to change out this 200VAC Motor and replace it with a Stepper.  I left the stock gear box on the carousel drive and found a Vexta Stepper motor that would mount up.  I liked the idea of stepper motor as it will be easy to control with Mach3.  The rotation speed of the carousel is not as fast as the original drive, but I will take reliability over performance at this phase of the build.  

There were 2 proximity switches on the ATC, 1 for each tool index and 1 for home (tool position 1).  Both switches were functional, but the wires connecting them were broken inside.  I guess after 20 years of flexing, the copper finally broke.  You can see the wire nuts on the connectors, as if someone tried to fix it before.  The good thing is, all the parts of the ATC are now functional!  One of the videos above shows the ATC Carousel working under Mach3 Control.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:34:18 PM by JHChoppers »
X Y Axis helper tool
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »
We needed a way to move the X and Y axis easily to test limit switches, home switches, and to help determine the total travel of the table.  After moving the X and Y pulleys by hand for while, I though it would be easier to make a simple tool to mount into a drill to connect onto the end of the lead screws.  This is not rocket science, but it was and is very helpful so I thought it was important to post.  Helpfully it might help someone else out….
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:52:25 PM by JHChoppers »
Y Axis Backlash Issue
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
The previous owner indicated an issue with the Y Axis but did not go into details.  I didn’t know if it was a servo driver problem, servo motor, encoder, broken/intermediate wire, ball screw or thrust bearing.  After removing the Y Axis covers, we noticed a bunch of fresh grease by the thrust bearing.  The grease was pumped into a setscrew hole used to connect the Y Axis lead screw end cover.  The grease was doing nothing here as far as I could tell?  

When the pulley was rotated back and forth, I could tell that backlash was the issue and it looked like they attempted to fix it.  After further investigation, the Y Axis thrust bearing was shot.  If this is the only real issue with the machine, I will be very happy.  I found a NEW replacement on eBay for $550.00, after the install, the Y Axis appears to have little to no backlash just like X Axis.  

I need to get those servos up and running…
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:13:35 AM by JHChoppers »

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 03:15:50 AM »
Sounds good JH Would be awsome to see the machine doing rigid tap with Mach!
My friend has a 1995 version of this machine with Fanuc OTMate. They are a little work horse... he cuts aluminium 6082T6 at 1800mm/min no problem, the box ways make it a really solid machine. The Fanuc software is bullet proof too..not tried Mach yet but sounds like rev 4 will be a lot more sorted and I think Brian has finally got cut comp working (G41/42) I use G41/42 all the time on the Fanucs and wouldn't want to be without it!
John
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
Hey JH,
     Howzabout an update, there are some of us living vicariously thru your endeavors ya know.... peace

Heidenhain Encoder Study
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
Each of the 3 Axis use the same Servo Motor(SEM) and Encoder(Heidenhain).  These encoders are analog and use a ‘flash light’ like lamp and light blocking set screws to calibrate/align the Encoder.  I am sure these were rock solid in their day, but they have been removed and will be replaced.  The analog phase shift technology is not combatable with the new servo drivers that we have been testing(Gecko, Viper and CNCDrive).

The stock BP412 machine had a resolution of 0.0003 and maximum speed of 300IPM (I need to double check this fact…)

To maximize the performance of the machine after the Mach3 conversion, the new encoder CPR/PPR is most important.  The resolution of the machine should be as good or better than before and the maximum IPM speed should be as close to 300 as possible without going faster(NOTE: The trust bearings have an RPM limit of 2600, ie 260IPM, I guess the machine designers assumed you would not be running at 300IPM for long periods of time).  Based on my calculations, an encoder with 100 Counts Per Revolution (CPR) or 400 Pulses Per Revolution (PPR) should equate to a machine resolution of 0.00025 and 300IPM with a Mach3 Kernel Speed of only 20000Hz.

Below are some pictures of a stock Heidenhain Encoder and an Excel Spread Sheet I used to help with the Encoder Calculations:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:45:25 AM by JHChoppers »
Mounting the New Encoders
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
With the stock Heidenhain Encoders removed, we needed to mount the new digital 100CPR Encoders.  I had some shaft couplers that would almost work with the new encoders.  So a quick adaptor and mounting block was turned to mount them.  Testing this setup is next on the list…