Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:38:58 AM

Author Topic: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 212799 times)

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
Re: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »
Yep lol, I like the Heidenhain as they are very methodical about how they put the controls together, they are all backward compatible etc and all the info on PLC progamming and parameter settings are all easy to download off their sight. Plus all their test equipment is easy to use..they have a device that plugs into the encoder ports and led's go red or green depending if it's ok or not..real easy..same with the encoders..they just plug into the test unit and a quick turn of the shaft gives a trace on the screen and everything is checked by the unit. Encoders can be swapped for linear scales with only a few parameter changes..same plugs and wiring for both usually.

The PLC is burned on to  eraseable EEPROMS and can be loaded to ram from the EEPROMs for safe keeping on a pc or visa versa a PLC program can be Rs232'd to the control and then sent to the EEPROMS. On the 355 PLC progs can be written or edited at the pendant and and test run by the control to check for errors before saving.

I think the 355 will do upto 9999 tools and will work on twin tool changers and there was a full 5 axis plus spindle version available.

At least you can power up the old Heidenhain on the bench if ever you want to learn more about it..as long as you have the old encoders plugged in it shouldn't alarm out  :)

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:25:39 PM by cnc-it »

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
I have a Tnc 355 on my Beaver Partsmaster, full conversational programming at the control, pockets,drilling,contours etc or I can drip feed G code with no limit on file size  :)

John.

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2013, 07:58:41 PM »
The X8 socket and cable is the analogue command to the drives on the 355...connect that to modern drives add a single phase supply for the new drives and couple the encoders to the ball screws  away you go! Fairly straight forward that's why I like the Heidenhain's..for doing retrofits they are a breeze :)

John
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
We finally have the breaker box mounted to the machine to get power to it.  I needed to paint that section first before it was mounted and that lead to more work...  Since we didn’t need the rear control panel/box it was removed.  Then the cable tray needed modifications, and a new sheet metal panel was fabricated to block off where the rear control panel originally was located.

Pics of the before and after.
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:01 AM »
This is a gorgeous machine. I'm looking at picking up one myself from a local tech school. Have you been happy with it so far? I'm hoping to use the stock electronics as long as i can before i have to retrofit. If i do, i will be happily following your setup and copying it since its so dang nice!! What paint did you go with? It turned out wonderful.
« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
FAST Forward....  the second BP412 is fully functional.   New AC Servos, New glass windows and seals, paint and logos too.    The control panel is not complete so we are running it from the LCD screen and Keyboard as of now.

Below is the latest picture of it while cutting parts.   Also is a picture of the first BP412 we did, still running too.

Enjoy
JH

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
Very Nice!  :)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »
Love the shop! Drooling! haha
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2015, 07:37:01 AM »
Also, what paint did you decide to go with something coolant/oil resistant? Is that metal your painting on or plastic?
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »
Also, what paint did you decide to go with something coolant/oil resistant? Is that metal your painting on or plastic?

We just use an oil based paint from ACE HARDWARE.   Surface preparation is key with any paint.   Just roll it on and it fans out nice.   Holds up well to the coolant on the outside.

I had an old wise man tell me once "if your paint your machines a light color, you will clean them more and notice issues before they become problems"