Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:06:12 AM

Author Topic: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 212807 times)

Re: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
JH,

I bought the same drivers as you.  The TSTA20C's.  I'm having trouble discerning where to hook the step and direction pins from mach 3.  The book with the drivers shows it's dealing with pins 14-17.  That's 4 pins I only have 2 pins coming from the cnc4pc board(step and dir).  Better yet could you tell me what you have hooked to each pin in your CN1 connector on the driver.  I know it needs to share a ground as well is there anything else it needs.  I have the 220 wired to them and they come on just fine.  Just need to figure out the inputs.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Joey

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2012, 03:14:35 AM »
Most industrial quality drives take differential Step/Dir inputs and although you can usually connect them single ended I prefer to make use of the noise immunity that differential signalling allows. To do this I have made up  line driver boards in various guises over the years from simple breadboard ones to routed pcb ones to getting a few professionally made pcbs.
With  the new controller I just got it already outputs differential Step/Dir so no need to make up a line driver this time for me :-)
Hood
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »
I guess I never posted the schematic to the circuits that I made to control the servo with Open Collector vs Line Driver Interface.  Agreed with Hood, Line Driver is better, but if your using PP like I did, Open Collector will work just fine.   Your limited to 200Khz, but you can’t even get close to that with Mach3 and your PP

To convert 5 Volt TTL to Open Collector, you can use your basic NPN transistors or 74LS05 IC.  See the attached circuit diagram, this is what I have used on both the BP412 and the DM4800 to Servo Interface.  I’ll have to dig into the Servo Book to see my notes on all the connections used, but at least this shows STEP, DIR, EN and eStop back from the Servo Interface.

JH
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »
Been working alot lately and haven't had much time for the machine.  I got some free time recently and tried to get the servo interfaced to the PC.  I wired the servo motor and connected the encodered and powered it on.  Everything worked fine it shows the position if I manually move the shaft of the motor.  The SON(servo enable) was off at this point.  I then enabled the servo on that worked fine and it jogs fine if I use the Dn-05 menu on the driver(manual jog).  The problem Im having is it doesnt seem to see or acknowledge any input from the PC.  I bought the line driver SN75172N.  I made up a breadboard test circuit for this.  I used your e-stop and enable circuits which both work as expected.  So everything is working except it don't move via the computer. 
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
Disregard that last post.  I had everything hooked up correctly I forgot to send 5v to the enable on the breakout board.  After I did that everything worked great.  Thanks
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »
What pin did you use on the Teco servo drives to disengage and engage the Z axis brake.  It speaks about a break output in the book but doesnt say a specific pin.  I look though the CN1 and didn't see a brake output.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Joey
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »
The Z Axis brake is hard wired to the eStop and Charge Pump circuit.  When the system is in Ready State the brake is disabled and the Servos are enabled.  If any of the servos fail at anytime, they will pull the eStop input line, Mach will stop and enter eStop State, thus the brake will be enabled.

These are independent systems working together.  The time that the servos need to hold the Z Axis is so fast, the Z will never move during the transition from eStop to Ready.

Hope this helps,
JH

« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »
Thank you very much for your response.  I got the brake working good now and all 3 axis move as they should.  I ordered the spindle drive and it should be here late next week.  My next concern was the air switches for the tool changer.  What are there power requirements?  110 ac 220 ac or 24vdc?  They appear to be Ac from what I can tell but don't want to burn them out as Im sure they are hard to find.  When my machines up and running I'll repay you with a free job for all the generous help.

Joey
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
The controls are 90 or 100VAC, I used a step down transformer to drop the voltage down.  I'll check when I can....  I need to take some pictures of the inside electronics for you.

Thanks
JH
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
The pneumatics are 100 VAC.  I used a toriod transformer to step down the voltage to 100 VAC and solid state relays to interface the parallel port 5 VDC to 100 VAC controls.

Below are the some pictures of the electronics used.

Thanks
JH