Hello Guest it is August 26, 2019, 12:08:38 AM

Author Topic: Sudden stop  (Read 2057 times)

Sudden stop
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:57:23 AM »
I was machining a small detailed piece and the machining suddenly stopped.  The file size is about 4 meg, with 320,000 lines of GCode.

I seem to remember something about the display being a problem, but I have been machining similar files without a stop.

Is there any way to find what makes Mach3 stop?

Are newer versions better? (I am running version R2.0.047)

Thanks,

Richard

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  7,887 7,887
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: Sudden stop
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:14:25 AM »
It would be helpful if you could provide more details.

Was anything shown in the Status box after the stop ?
Was it an e-stop or limit switch triggered (Reset flashing) ?

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:12:04 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying.  I did not take note of any warning messages if they were there.  All I saw as the reset flashing.

When I had problems like this some time ago, I rec'd the following message from Art:

"Turn off the watchdog in config/general. If the CPU gets too bogged down
that error can occur, you may want to also turn off toolpath display if a
file is longer than 20 megs or so."

Anyway I keep the display on and turned the watchdog off.  So far I have done 2 similar items without a problem.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  7,887 7,887
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:00:30 AM »
I used to have a similar problem cutting lithophanes which have large files (320,000 or more lines of code) and found that the issue was related to a refresh of the LPT port. I never did discover if this was a Mach related or computer related thing but my cure was to reconfigure my limit switches and e-stop to 'push to make'. Not everybody will agree with this strategy but it worked for me.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.