Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:08:50 AM

Author Topic: Jogging with Arrow Keys Problem  (Read 28354 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Jogging with Arrow Keys Problem
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
NOT being a stickler but

There are 3 ribbon cables connecting the 3 drives to BOB. I did not mark which one goes where but I doubt it that they all went to the same drive as before. Therefore I would say yes I swapped them

TO me this says you don't know if you did or not(;-)

But that is just MY opinion, but precise test proceedures are critical sometimes and assuming well you know the rest.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

I agree with you but as I said I did check the ribbon cables with a continuity meter and all was fine. To me this means all ribbon cables are good
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
If you unplugged the cables from a previously bad drive and plugged them into the good drive and that axis started behaving then it can only be a drive fault I would say.
Hood

I actually missed that little fact, sorry- I'll go back to my corner now-

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2009, 08:26:58 PM »
If you unplugged the cables from a previously bad drive and plugged them into the good drive and that axis started behaving then it can only be a drive fault I would say.
Hood

I actually missed that little fact, sorry- I'll go back to my corner now-

Dave

You cant, I am there and unless you are a young good looking female then there is no way I am letting you sit on my knee :D

Hood

vmax549

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
YES you checked the cont but you could not have checked IF the connector itself gave a bad connection( bad plug or bad socket).

I know it is nic picking BUT you are down to nic picking touble shooting at this point. YOU would feel foolish IF you sent the drives back and there was NOTHING wrong with them, YES ?

BEEN THERE, (;-) TP

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »
YES you checked the cont but you could not have checked IF the connector itself gave a bad connection( bad plug or bad socket).

I know it is nic picking BUT you are down to nic picking touble shooting at this point. YOU would feel foolish IF you sent the drives back and there was NOTHING wrong with them, YES ?

BEEN THERE, (;-) TP

ok guys do you want to open a new can of worms for me now? LOL

Dave dont go back to your little corner yet. What you said is valid and appreciated

Of course I would not like to sent the drives back and find out that there is nothing wrong with them. But if the continuity check of the ribbon cables says they are good, what is the best way to verify that the plugs are also good?
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »
If you simply unplugged the ribbon and motor cable from the axis drive that wasn't working right and then plugged them onto another drive and the axis started working then I would say you have proved the cables and plugs are fine. If you unplugged the ribbons from the BOB and kept them on their respective drives then there is a possibility that the ribbons could be bad.
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »
If you simply unplugged the ribbon and motor cable from the axis drive that wasn't working right and then plugged them onto another drive and the axis started working then I would say you have proved the cables and plugs are fine. If you unplugged the ribbons from the BOB and kept them on their respective drives then there is a possibility that the ribbons could be bad.
Hood

I still have tomorrow Sunday to do the verifications as you described Hood but I was also expecting Probotix to ask me to do whatever they might want me to verify.

As you can see from the pic. It is not very easy to remove the heat sink due to space limitation and what I did I just simply switched the motor wires from a bad drive (X axis) to the good drive (the good drive in the pic is the one in the center and that is the Y axis). I was told never to run the drives without a heat sink and so the heat sink has to be always installed.

So now we want to verify that the ribbons and the ribbons plug in the BOB are good. Therefore tomorrow I will switch the good drive to each position at the right and left of the middle. This way I will verify that the BOB plug for the ribbon is good and at the same time I will use a different ribbon to assure that all ribbon cables are verified too.
Nicolas
Nicolas

vmax549

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
Looks like you could take the longest cable and test all three drives from the center plug.  Place the cable in the center plug and into each drive.

IF none of the drives work swap cables IF all the drives work then it is a cable problem IF one works and two don't then drives.

THEN if you have bad drives , sic um cowboy , (;-) TP

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Looks like you could take the longest cable and test all three drives from the center plug.  Place the cable in the center plug and into each drive.

IF none of the drives work swap cables IF all the drives work then it is a cable problem IF one works and two don't then drives.

THEN if you have bad drives , sic um cowboy , (;-) TP

I will assume that by saying "longest cable" you mean the ribbon cable. The ribbon cables are all the same length. In addition they are not long enough to go from X drive to Z plug in the BOB or Z drive to X plug in the BOB. But from the Y position (center) the ribbons can reach all plugs in BOB

As per picture above, the center plug & ribbon works. So I will remove this ribbon cable and drive and put them aside.

Now I will install the X & Z drives, one at a time, in the center position and test the other 2 ribbons in all 3 plugs in BOB.
Nicolas
Nicolas

vmax549

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »
Sounds like a plan (;-)

(;-) TP