Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 01:21:03 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 turn newbie questions:  (Read 2450 times)

Mach3 turn newbie questions:
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:29:22 PM »
Ok I'm a complete newbie to CNC turning and I have some questions before I spend money.  I have done some reading and some things I do understand, while some things I don't.   

In Mach3 turn I understand about the tool X and Z offsets for tool changes and wear offsets, but what I don't understand is how to position the toolpost for a tool change.  Say I'm turning a part (55 degree insert) that is 1" long by .75" diameter and want to switch to a cutoff tool, and minimize the distance the cross slide travels to make the tool change. I will not be using limit switches. 

Most of my work would be done without the tailstock, but eventually I will try turning between centers.

If someone can shed some light on things in a simple format, I would appreciate it.  I often suffer from migraine headaches, so things take a while to sink in sometimes. 

Michael

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 turn newbie questions:
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »
Best way probably is just to have your code move to a position that is suitable for the setup you have at that time. Lathes are hard to do changes to compared to a mill as there are so many things that can get in the way if you define a single position for a toolchange or certainly is on mine with front and rear toolposts with boring bars sticking out etc etc.
Hood