Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:59:26 AM

Author Topic: Some Simple Questions  (Read 16055 times)

Hood

Re: Some Simple Questions
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 06:22:35 PM »
Its a good feeling when the light comes on, happens to me all the time but usually after three or four days of struggling. When my brain eventually clicks into the right gear I think why the heck did I not see that a few days ago ;)

Hood
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 09:28:24 PM »
Hood is a great guy and you are lucky to have him helping you. The toolcahnge position is not the int he stock tool change macro :( if you would like me to post a macro that uses it I can :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 10:18:25 PM »
OK so I sat down and re-installed 3 to make sure I had the new drivers, setup the pins and ports, checked all the various things...

The E-Stop is permantly on, I keep getting a 'Limit Switch Enabled' error, I checked the E-Stop button settings to be sure and they match MachII, I think the issue is in the home/limits screen.

Here is what I have set:

X Axis
Reversed: Off
Soft Max: 23.00
Soft Min: 0.00
Slow Zone: 1.00
Home Off: 0.000
Home Neg: Off
Auto Zero: On
Speed%: 30

For Y:

Soft Max: 36.50

For Z:

Reversed: On
Softmax: -4.80

All other settings are identical, the machine has three home switches and they are not engaged, I went to the diagnostics screen and the following leds where lit to yellow:

M1 ++Limit  M1 --Limit  M1 Home
M2 ++Limit  M2 --Limit  M2 Home
M3 ++Limit  M3 --Limit  M3 Home

When I trigger the X,Y and Z limit switches those lights all go out...

I'm going to sit down and read through the manual and see if I can make sense of this area, at least I know the controller is talking to MachIII so far.

There's no going back now ;)

Thanks

-Paul-

-Paul-

Paul Davis
Luthier
Patriot Guitars
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 10:21:35 PM »
Hood is a great guy and you are lucky to have him helping you. The toolcahnge position is not the int he stock tool change macro :( if you would like me to post a macro that uses it I can :)

I've seen that macro floating around, let me get the machine actually running first and then I'll get it and play...

-Paul-
-Paul-

Paul Davis
Luthier
Patriot Guitars
Re: Emergency e-stop forever on
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 11:50:10 PM »
The logic status of the emergency stop input line to your parallel port is probaby  default set to low.  This means that as long as there is no voltage inptu to it you will show an E-stop. Go to the Configuration  menu select ports and poins, input signals, then scroll down to e-stop. There is some type of mark in the enable column showing that it is enabled.  Click in the active low column to the right and this same mark appears.  Apply this change then go back to the program run scren and click the reset button.  If it stops flashing your problem is solved.
Tanimura

Hood

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 03:31:31 AM »
If your LEDS are on when the switches are NOT pressed but go out when they are then all you need to do is change the active low setting for them.
Hood

EDIT
You will find this under Config menu -Ports and Pins then Inputs.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 08:44:20 AM »
If your LEDS are on when the switches are NOT pressed but go out when they are then all you need to do is change the active low setting for them.
Hood

EDIT
You will find this under Config menu -Ports and Pins then Inputs.

I got up this morning and wen't out and flipped the active low and off the machine went. I can jog the machine now, so that progress. X and Y need to be reversed (I'm eating breakfast so I'll head back out and do that in a bit) the X++ and Y++ hotkeys make it go the wrong way :)

I did notice that when I had the -- Limit set for X & Y and they triggered the switch I could not get it to come out of emergency mode to clear the error and jog out, am I missing something there. I turned those off and only left on the home and was able to jog out of that position.

I'm hoping to have this all setup and operational today, still need to check the motor tuning and other settings but this is a start.

Thanks for the help so far

-Paul-
-Paul-

Paul Davis
Luthier
Patriot Guitars

Hood

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 08:50:27 AM »
Change the Dir low active for the axis that is moving the wrong way. Also have a look on the settings page and turn on "Auto Limits Override"

Hood
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 04:23:26 PM »
Change the Dir low active for the axis that is moving the wrong way. Also have a look on the settings page and turn on "Auto Limits Override"

Hood

Thanks... It took some tweaking but I finally got X and Y to move the way I wanted and the DRO's to reflect it.  One change I would like to see is the reverse button to be put on the ports screen for the motor outputs, having it in the home/limits confused me for a while (could be I'm just easily confused).

Now about the Auto Limits Override, I set it but I can still jog past the numbers in diagnostic, I thought it would stop at the limits? or will it let me be a moron and job into the machine? I have the limits entered into the home/limits screen, the reference buttons take the axis's back to the right position, so I'm not sure if it's me or I missed something...

The help here has been wonderful, as soon as I figure this out I'll test the tool change stuff and break out the dial guage and tune my motors and see if I have to do anything for backlash...

Thanks

-Paul-
-Paul-

Paul Davis
Luthier
Patriot Guitars

Hood

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 04:50:34 PM »
Thanks... It took some tweaking but I finally got X and Y to move the way I wanted and the DRO's to reflect it.  One change I would like to see is the reverse button to be put on the ports screen for the motor outputs, having it in the home/limits confused me for a while (could be I'm just easily confused).

Are you talking about reversing an axis or changing the homing direction? If its the latter then I think homing and limits page is the best place for it, but thats just my opinion.

Now about the Auto Limits Override, I set it but I can still jog past the numbers in diagnostic, I thought it would stop at the limits? or will it let me be a moron and job into the machine? I have the limits entered into the home/limits screen, the reference buttons take the axis's back to the right position, so I'm not sure if it's me or I missed something...

The help here has been wonderful, as soon as I figure this out I'll test the tool change stuff and break out the dial guage and tune my motors and see if I have to do anything for backlash...

Thanks

-Paul-

When you say you can Jog past the limits do you mean it stops at a limit then if you reset and jog again it will go past? If yes then that cant be helped as Mach sees a limit as a limit and doesnt actually know which one it is (minus or positive) What you will notice is once a limit has been hit when you jog off it will be at a reduced speed, this is I think to help minimize damage if you jog off in the wrong direction. After you start to Jog off you can release the jog button and press it again and it will continue at full rapids.
 If you are meaning that when you jog and hit a limit the movement continues without seeing the limit then you must have the limits set up wrong.

Hood