Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:19:02 PM

Author Topic: Does this screenshot mean that pins 12 & 13 are fried on my PC??  (Read 27816 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Does this screenshot mean that pins 12 & 13 are fried on my PC??
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »
You can use any of the pins (18 to 25) for Gnd or even just use the port case or even the computer case for that matter, they should all be tied together.

As for pin 11 I dont think you need to concern yourself about that, one thing however, can you change the type of port it functions as? If its set to ECP then it may not work, you want to set it to EPP.
Hood

vmax549

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »
WHat IS your lpt mode set for in the bios?

(;-)TP

vmax549

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
THe  best way to confirm is to check your bios for the proper mode of the LPT port

Set up one pin to one function test that pin.

change the config to the next pin and test

repeat for all pins

That way if it works on one it should work on all

Just a thought (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
I think its a PCI card so dont think it will be in the BIOS, that is why I asked if it could be configured as some PCI cards can and others cant.
Hood
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
My pc inside (the first offender that I changed from) system/hardware/device manager/ports and looked at properties  ....Calls itself ECP Printer port

The one I'm currently using says only "Printer Port (LPT3)" there.  Also, in start/all programs/accesories/system tools/system information/components/ports, and that doesn't doesn't show that either.   

Where do I look for this setting (If the port even properly exists) and how do I change it?

Also, from what you said earlier, Hood, could the inside pc have not acted properly due to being a ecp port.

Additionally, how do I check the bios?

Thanks Guys!
Rooney

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
If the first computer had it set as ECP then that is likely your problem with that one. To change in the BIOs you need to find the port settings, it will depend on the BIOS but will be called something like Advanced Chipset or Advanced Settings.

As for the PCI then it may have jumpers or maybe a config utility or possibly even in device manager. It may however not be possible to change it.
Hood
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
I jumped from pin 12 to pin 25 and recieved no result.  So, like you said Hood, Mach does not seem to be seeing my port.  I think that my next step will be to determine whether or not the first pc I had trouble with will do the job.  Unforrtunately, I will need to figure out how to change from ECP to EPP.  Not sure that I am comfortable messing around in BIOS.  And on top of that, I'm not sure I totally understand how to even access it.  I know that you start your pc and hit delete a few times or F2 if that doesn't work??  I'm going to try.

Edit:
On the original pc, I went into the BIOS and changed the port to EPP.  I found it under "Integrated Settings" or some similar name.  It still reads as ECP in 'system information' under components.  I'm sure I changed it because when I went back into BIOS, it was still set as such.  Do I need to do something else within windows now?

Second pc, the one I am currently setting up in the garage (the pci express card) I went into BIOS and changed under 'pnp/pci' to "show initial" to 'pci express' as opposed to 'pci'.

THe  best way to confirm is to check your bios for the proper mode of the LPT port

Set up one pin to one function test that pin.

change the config to the next pin and test

repeat for all pins

That way if it works on one it should work on all

Just a thought (;-) TP

On the pci express card one, I jumped from pin 10 (e-stop) to pin 25 and then reset.  Same result as 12 - 25.

Am I confirming not seeing the port there?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:20:32 PM by rooney »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 03:20:27 AM »
On the original PC try deleting the port from device manager then rescanning for hardware changes so windows finds it again.
Hood
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
I will try that when I get home.
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »
Well, that doesn't work either.

I Went into bios and made sure the parallel port was set to EPP.  Then I saved changes and exited.  Windows opened and I went to device manager and opened ports....ECP still there.  I unistalled the ECP port and immediately scanned for hardware changes.  No change.  Back to ECP.........