Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:02:04 PM

Author Topic: Tempest Planning - Preliminary information and testing  (Read 333560 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Tempest Planning - Preliminary information and testing
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 08:52:15 AM »
Art,

On axis 7,8,9 are they another rotary primarily axis that also rotate around x,y,z (with option on making them linear)?
What are you going to call them in G code will they have a primary letter, and then an "alias" letter as well, like the current 6 axis do?

scott
fun times

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
As attached in MAch3, you have no connection to the 7,8 or 9th axis.
They will be separated to U,V,W in the end. At the moment they are all
simply linear interpolations until such time as kinematics are added.

Preliminary tests show that Tempest is pretty smooth, does great blending , but
suffers from lower speeds than desired as the segment size gets smaller. Thats whats
currently being worked on, when and if I can speed it up to relative mach3 levels of speed
with small segement concatentation speeds, then Ill be investigating rotational kinemtaics
to make the A,B,C and the U,V,W axis as set rotation vecotr components to the cartesion axis
based on setting tranformational matrix'sfor each rotational axis.

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 10:00:16 AM »
Well, Preliminary testing shows that version of the tempest test is very smooth, but slower than mach3 by too much in small segment code. THis is because with SCurve planners a lookahead strategy is necessary to see how much speed we can add up to in the stream of gcode.

This version is Quantum on steroids. It looks ahead and back and precompiles the speed capabilities. On my stress test, which Ill post as well, MAch3 takes 51 seconds on my setup, Tempest takes 56 seconds, not too bad a difference to respect physical motion laws and limit the jerking of the machine, not to mention make the CV blending more controllable by the user.

You only need to unzip this to a mach3 folder to test, and then select "config/set planner type" to turn on the tempest planner , you can swap back and forth between planners as long as your not currently running code. Setting higher Jerk limits will speed up the end result and a number like 12000 or so shoudl work for most of you, lower if your machine is crappy, higher if its a stout solid unit.

Id be interested in any observations.

Thx
Art

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:57:58 AM by ART »

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
Hi:

Well, testing on that version shows a few errors in small segement code. This version test very well even in small segement code. I still havent done much
testing with Arcs in the code, but speed is very high with even very tight and small segement testing. This version seems so far to eliminate the errors of Quantum
and is now testing well on any file Ive tried. Work continues on FeedHold actions now to allow it to integrate into a full CNC program.

Thx
Art

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 07:42:48 AM »
Hi Art,

I have been away for quite some time but I am about to begin on a new project and I am trying to do some ketch up reading.

I am planning a cnc laser cutter. 100w co2 rf-pumped, yaskawa sigma 5 servos, I am leaning towards smooth-stepper or something else that Brian has on the back burner. 

I am planning on flying optics, super rigid really light. But I have been concerned about cv with the laser. I would also like to be able to vary the laser power with velocity.  My goal is REALLY smooth motion for a nice cut edge but I would also like to have decent speed.
Down the road I would also like to do raster engraving.

This is planned for sale and It is not just a hobby machine. I Think I am going to start ordering parts next week and begin the proto.

DO you see any advantages with this type of planner with laser?

chad

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 08:36:04 AM »
Chad:

Im not so sure the S-Curving will help if everything is rigid, but the blending may be helpfull.
This planneris very god at blending since you set the maximum radial blend. The blend radius is automatically
calculated on each segemnt with the user set value as the maximum amount.

You have to remember though that this planner is not projected to be used in Mach3, ( or in any program as yet ),
and is really just research on a next generation planner. It may well appear , or it may not depending on testing and
limitations found. Im pretty impressed by recent testing, but theres lots of testing to go before Ill know if this
method of planning is really suited to full cnc work. So far its impressive, but I havent run the hundreds of types
of files necessary to say its a very robust planning methodology.

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Hi All:

Ive opened this thread to public consumption as the testing has reached the viable stage. Latest testing shows a marked improvement in operation with a great reduction in
Jerk on our test systems. FeedHold is not operative in this version, so once you start a job, only a stop will kill it.

The switch to turn on or switch between Mach3's conventional planner and the new Tempest planner is in config/select planner , and all you really need to do is set the blend radius and the Jerk limitation for your system. If you find its too slow, increase the jerk limitation setting. The blend radius is simply the maximum bland radius, the actual radii will depend on segment length but the planner
will attemp to give you as good a CV as it can. Please post any files that seem to create trouble for you. Reverse run is not available either, and the feedrate selection DRO's will display stange numbers at atimes, but will not affect operation.

Comments are appreciated as to hwo things work.

The file name in this download is Mach3Tempest.exe, so to test you simply need to unzip this to the Mach3 folder, and run that program instead of the normal Mach3 executable. So this test will not affect your norm,al usage of the Mach3 program.

Thanks
Art
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »
You mentioned kinematics!?  Does that have anything to do with full 4-5 axis support possibly in the future?!  BTW I really had a good laugh out of "Snap, Crackle, and Pop"...I went to engineering school and never even heard of those!!!

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
It may.. Theres still a lot of research I need to do , but my hope is to make the a,b,c,u,v,w axis work as kinematic translations of the commanded x,y,z target from the code. It woudl be a special mode
but thats a ways off, Im more concerned with simple 3 axis curving at this point.

Art

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
Hi Art,

I tried this file on the new planner, see what you think

Graham
Without engineers the world stops