Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:32:13 PM

Author Topic: My New Router Gantry Build  (Read 27826 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: My New Router Gantry Build
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 01:19:22 AM »
Looking good. I bet you cant wait to get it all hooked up.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
Where are you connecting your x axis ballscrew?  Did you machine all your ballscrew mounts?  I need to do that myself and I'm a bit lost on how to do it;)

Barry

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 08:01:04 AM »
Thanks Guys,

Barry I am going to make the mounts to fit inside of the bottom tubing right above the bearings, The stock for the pulleys and end brackets are cut out of 3/8 extruded aluminum channel and will machine out a bearing mount and a through hole for the pulley .. I would post a picture BUT when I had the computer crash over the weekend I lost my CAD drawing so I have to do them again..
   I am going to make all of the mountings before ordering the ballscrews so I have an exact measurement,, Roton has been pretty close with their cuts...
Gary

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 09:58:13 AM »
Had a real pain trying to get my computer up and running after that re-format last weekend, took all morning to try and get the drivers for smoothestepper to re-load had to shut down my virus program which I added after this crash then had to end up after 100 tries of locating the driver to install and extract files to a separate disk THEN locate the files for the smoothstepper..
What a pain in the butt that was....
  I hate computer problems..
  I would like to eventually get a separate stand alone computer just for the CNC setup to leave in the garage ,right now I use my laptop for everything..I am going to start putting a few bucks aside until I can get just a basic computer , load XP back on it and use it just for the garage, Also I am looking into a touch screen monitor add on for a separate monitor..
  Well I am going to try and get the X axis mounts made today , cooled down in the garage this morning only about 85 with 80% humidity this morning .....
Sorry about the long post about nothing but still wound up about getting the drivers loaded...
Gary

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »
OK got a few parts made,, I found this idea on either here or a different web site but will work OK in my situation..
  I am going to slide these in the bottom tubes to run the ballscrews in. I will put in some set screws both on the bracket and then into the aluminum plate through the tubing with 1/4 20 bolts..And also they are long enough that I can put 2 ballnuts in if later down the road I need to take out backlash I can adjust the 2 ballnuts ..
Sorry about the bad pictures ,,didnt realise they where that fuzzy
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:50:52 PM by Garyv »

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
OK back to my build again after waiting for parts, I have the balscrews mounted the x axis servo will be attached when i get the belts in.
 I ordered 2 different sizes so I can go with or without a idler pully to give more traction to the belt if I need it..
Here are the pics.
Gary
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
Hi look forward to see it running on video.

Nice work and I always like the pics you post.

Jeff

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
Thanks for the complement Jeff glad you  like it,,
 I hope it cuts as good as it is going together and holding tolerances..So far the ballscrews from roton I am real happy with the price and the fit..I can move each axis by hand with close to zero backlash but that does not mean that it will hold up under load..
Gary

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
Well getting closer to a cut FINALLY  ,, got the belts in wired up waiting on limit switches to install. But cut a lot of air and started getting the servos calibrated using the motor setup on the program run page ,, nice and smooth until i get over 85 to 100 IPM then the 60 inch long ballscrews want to start wobbling a bit but I doubt I do any cutting at over 100 IPM anyway ,, Next time I will use belts or gears for the long axis..Live and learn ..
    Hope to actually get a spoil board in and a cut out next week...
 Will try to post pictures or video too.
Gary

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 06:16:57 PM »
OK Back after a few jobs held me up for a few months on the router build..
 I cut out my first part today for my boat , something I through together with Bobcad (now has V carve in bob art) real quick to check the machine..
   It looks milky because I just hit it with a few coats of Lacquer and getting dark early with the time change..
 Everything cut nice and since I have a smoothstepper I can't use back lash comp that I thought I would need but could not even find a mark after a tool change that was of so
it looks to be  dead on cutting MDF..
   Next I want to use real wood and hang a few signs off the side of the boat when we go out to the cove where hundreds of boaters hang out and might be able to custom
 cut and make a few bucks..
 Here's the pic.I will ad a better one after the sun is out and the lacquer dries...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:20:53 PM by Garyv »