Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:21:54 AM

Author Topic: My New Router Gantry Build  (Read 27833 times)

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
My New Router Gantry Build
« on: June 03, 2009, 09:28:47 PM »
OK  back on my build again but actually getting some progress made , I have the Y Z Gantry almost finished just need to attach the router and one bearing support on the bottom of the Z axis backplate,, ANY opinions are welcomed , this is my first metal router , I stripped the wood router and threw it out to make room for the new one.. The X plane is going to be able to cut approx 48 inches..
  And I am welcoming ANY opinions before I get this finished, I did hook the servos up to my control and I am really happy with the results I can jog back and Fourth up and down the hit go to zero and it has been coming back to zero without any noticeable backlash using my micrometer..I know that is not under a load but so far so good..
Gary
Re: My New Router Gantry Build
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »
That is ONE HEALTHY gantry!  :D  Looks great!

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »
Thanks GawnCA,
   it is 34 " wide with a nema 34 on the Y and a 23 on the Z from keling,,with 5/8" roton ballscrews and nuts , They have a good deal now for the ballscrews 10 bucks a foot and 23 for the nuts for the 5/8" ballscrews, gonna be getting a few more for the X axis next week...And I am looking for one more piece of HIWIN HGH rail  to match the one I got on ebay but have not found them , just new at automation4less surplus, but a new peice of rail cost more than I paid for the 58 1/2" rail and 4 linear bearings I found on ebay, so still gonna give it a few weeks until I have the rest of the table built.. And Aurturo from CNC4PC live just a mile from me so we are going to get together to upgrade my controller here in a few weeks.. Cant wait to have it cutting..The first one I built was out of MDF and acme thread and I could not get the backlash down for nothin and the flex was horrible..
Thanks
Gary
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:31:45 AM »
I can hardly wait to see the finished product and then a video of it in operation.   Greg

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »
Looking good Gary.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:13:57 AM »
Looks like you are using servo motors there.

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:38:40 PM »
The Y axis has a nema 34 800 oz-in torque servo and the Z has  nema 23 350 oz in torque servo.. And both are run with 2 to 1 reduction pullies so plenty or torque,,High speed when testing was about 170 IPM which is fast enough for me now..
   I am still not decided on whether to run a single ballnut under the carrage with a single motor or a single servo with belts to hook up both sides , I am using the real heavy duty hiwin HGH20 mm linear carrages on both sides so I hope I do not have any twist on the gantry..I am still leaning towards using the twin ballscrews going through the bottom tubing of the gantry and connecting to one servo (800 OZ)  with a shaft and belts ,but a little added expense for now, just don't want to rush into it either..
Gary
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:41:40 PM by Garyv »
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:42:11 PM »
Do you have any of the table built yet?  This thing look awsoem and shiould be able to cut just about anything you want.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
Very nice looking! I'm so glad to see that your using a belt reduction and have done such a nice job of mounting the serovs. I get SO tired of seegin people just stick a motor directly to the screw and try to compensate by using a huge motor.

Depending on your goal for torque/speed you might find that a bit more gearing is needed to get enough torque at the speeds you'll be cutting at. It all depends on what/how you'll be cutting.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:19:12 AM »
IF I were bright enough to figure out the gearing I would try it out.