Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:06:24 AM

Author Topic: Lost communication with PLC after SS instal  (Read 11891 times)

Re: Lost communication with PLC after SS instal
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »
maybe this will work

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 08:57:11 AM »
Just had a thought, have you copied your macros over to the new profiles macro folder?

Hood
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »
Yep , that was it. Had no idea there would be a new macro folder.

Thanks

Now just to dial in this VFD . Just out of curiousity , what other devices are avail to control a 30hp spindle motor besides the vfd?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »
Hey I have had simular experiences, here is how I did the work around.

IN your Ports and PINS:  DISABLE your spindle motor output!!  (I suspect that the SS is fighting over this with your VFD).

Once you have disabled your Spindle motor output, in PP, then goto "Brains".   I am assuming you have an Analog module in your PLC??, I am going to assume it is a 12 bit module, change to your situation.

In Brians Put:

Input spindle percent,  DRO(99)->formula:  (A*4095) -> (your modbus Serial Plugin ->modbus Config, and Local var termination here).  DRO 99 ALWAYS shows 0-1.00 (0-100%) of your current Pully range.  Just remember also, for tying in your M3/M4/m5 across the Brians, you will need to make sure that you DO enable "Relay control" of M3/M4, and tie each of them, and limit them to Outputs 1-6. The M3, M4 LEDs will only Lite up if tied to these output ranges, then in Brians, be watching the LED for M3, and on another rung, the LED for M4 to send out to your PLC for dirction.  NOTE: Mach3 will take care of "interlocking" M3/4 out from eachother, and also will turn them off on m5 calls.

ALSO:  check to make sure that your SS is NOT competing with ANY other IO, that your PLC is using, it WILL win in the battle for IO.

scott
fun times
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 10:14:30 AM »
well I seem to be all dialed in , I followed Gregs spindle setup in this thread http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,9523.10.html  and then I ran the spindle calibration routine and its running within 2% accross the board .

I currently have my index pulse attached to my BOB , one leg to gnd the other to pin 14 . I would like to attach to the SS board , which term do I attach to ?

I am not going to bother you for how to attach my qaud spindle encoder with index (yet)  but if its pretty simple could you give a basic rundown so I can save it for future refrence. My encoder wiring is listed as follows

lead sig A = A + N
Refrence sig = B + P
Lag Signal B = C + R

N P and R are all listed as GND and I assume  B is signal

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 10:24:47 AM »
Now just to dial in this VFD . Just out of curiousity , what other devices are avail to control a 30hp spindle motor besides the vfd?
Not really, if you have an induction motor a VFD or geabox is the only way and gearbox is what I had and only allows certain fixed speeds so its not the best. Now I have a 12.5KW AC Servo and it is great but unless you get lucky like I did then the price of that would be way beyond what you would like to spend I think, about $12k if I recall correctly, I got mine for about $600 :)
 I would imagine you would need a lot less than 30HP if you had a servo as they have constant torque from zero to rated speed where an Induction motor loses torque as the VFD slows it down so more HP is needed in the first place, or at least that is what I have found.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »
Dont think you will be able to fit that encoder up,  looks  like its not TTL :(
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 10:36:05 AM »
Looking again at what you wrote it could be a single ended encoder with A  and B channels and C being the index, you would have to check it out with a scope or if you have a model number the manufacturers site may have more info.
Hood
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
I have looked it up on the renco sight and its a std qaud encoder with index , I actualy had the index hooked to my breakout board last year and it seemed to work fine . I have gone back to the slotted disk  since as there was some concern the pulse might not be long enough for the current combination to read accuratley.

On the subject of my current slotted disk and index pulse , how do i go about attaching it to the smooth stepper board?

I am using the c3 index pulse board from cnc4pc

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
If it is a differential index then connect to the differential connections on Port 3 of the SmoothStepper, if you power the encoder from a source other than the SS you will have to make sure you have the 0V linked so that the SS has something to reference to.
 At this time the SS only uses the Index pulse so there is no benefit to connecting the A and B channels.
 Hood