Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:35:11 PM

Author Topic: PWM output for spindle  (Read 42747 times)

Re: PWM output for spindle
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »
Hi Repmo,

It always makes me happy when I see that someone has a scope!

Let me describe the parameters you need to set.  Maybe one of the following things is not right in your configuration.  I should have a section on this in the manual.  I think the spindle software needs some attention, so I will update the manual as soon as I get that cleared up.

First start with Mach's Ports & Pins config.

Select the Motor Outputs tab.
  • Enable the spindle
  • Assign port numbers
  • Assign pin numbers

Select the Spindle setup tab.
  • Check the box that says "Use Spindle Motor Output"
  • The other check and edit boxes do not apply to the SmoothStepper.

Motor Tuning

For PWM it is a little different than Step & Direction.  This software needs to be cleaned up in the SS.  For now, please follow these directions because they will work:

For PWM:

• Set "Steps Per" to 1000 (you can adjust this later to adjust the acceleration)
  • Set "Velocity" to 60 (This only has an effect on some calculations Mach does.  It has no effect on the actual output from the SS)
  • Set "Accel" to 1 (The accel is calculated as "Steps Per" * "Accel", so just adjust "Steps Per" to get the accel results that work well)

For Step & Direction:

• Set "Steps Per" to the maximum step frequency.  This is the frequency that will produce the maximum speed of the spindle motor.
  • Set "Velocity" to 60.  This is a magic number that allows you to enter the max step frequency for "Steps Per".
  • Set "Accel" to whatever value gives you the acceleration you want.

Config -> Spindle Pulleys

• Select a pulley
  • Choose min and max RPM, and a ratio so that spindle feedback calculates the correct RPM for display

SmoothStepper Config (Under PlugIn Control)

For PWM:

• Check the box for PWM
  • Select a base frequency for PWM (in Hz)

For Step & Direction:

• Check the box for Step & Direction
  • Select a step pulse width.  Make sure the frequency that was selected in Motor Tuning is not too fast for this pulse width.  Otherwise the signal will never transition.  For example, for a max step frequency of 25 kHz, the maximum pulse width is 40 microseconds.  At 25 kHz, the waveform would be 100% duty cycle if the pulse width is 40 us.

Please contact me at support @ warp9td.com if you are still having trouble.  Please let me know which version of the plugin you are using, which version of Mach, and if you provide you XML that will help a lot.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline Repmo

•  54 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »
I use PWM mode,
In Motor tuning, I try to change step/unit, velocity and accell to setup at 1000, 60 and 1.....  and when I retun in motor tuning, My change was reseted to 2000, 417 and 4, I 'm not able to change, I change value, push on save current setup and close window, when I return the new value was forget....

for the other change, it was good but my pwm output does'nt work

Mach 3  r2.63
SS beta2 ver 0.015me

Fred

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 03:47:37 AM »
Your version of Mach is old, update to the latest lockdown and see how that goes.
Hood

Offline Repmo

•  54 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »
My problem was repair with  Mach 3 upgrade
My spindle run good

tank
Fred

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »
excellent news :)
Hood
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:46:17 AM »
Hi Guys

I am trying to setup a YASKAWA V7 VFD. I have a SS and C23 board. Attached posts describe below Select the Motor Outputs tab.

Enable the spindle
Assign port numbers
Assign pin numbers

The C23 has a 0-10 analogue output which is preset to pin 14. Can someone explain why we need a step and dirtection pin to run the spindle. What pins are relevant to control the voltage.  There is the ability to assign pins in the spindle setup and motor outputs. I'm very confused.

Regards

Noel
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 02:49:05 PM »
I have made such board, for a basis have taken this scheme: http://cncrouter.ru/images/lathe.gif
+ two relays for inclusion of a spindle and change of a direction of rotation.
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 06:55:58 PM »
Got it sorted. I didn't realize that the step pin = voltage  0-10 and direction pin goes to the relay. works a treat now

Noel
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 05:08:13 AM »
The frequency converter operates turns of a spindle, and understands an external signal 0-10V, thus 0v it is the minimal turns and 10V maximal (it is installed in the frequency converter). SS have no output 0-10V therefore has made this board to convert frequency of a signal step in a voltage 0-10V. 

Sergey
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:44:37 AM by cncstep »
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 05:46:59 AM »
Yep
I have a CNC4PC c23 attached to the SS