Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:16:32 PM

Author Topic: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link  (Read 375868 times)

Re: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
That's kind of entertaining.

Although, if you're willling to stick the part in the spindle instead of a 4th axis, the table makes one heck of a gang slide!   :o

Cheers,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
These pictures show how I set my X2 4th axis up for Tools. I mounted the quick change tool post on the side.

Two of your photos are not showing up (at least for me)

Awesome idea! A lathe quick change (or a somewhat less versitile 5C collet holder) is what I had in mind to do until it occurred to me that I might be able to clamp something to the spindle and rotate it to bring multiple tools to bear. I would need to replace the current spindle lock with the new Super Duty lock and perhaps replace the lower ball bearing with a tapered roller.  

Another related plan I have is to add a high speed spindle to the head in a horizontal orientation. I have aquired an ER32 spindle for that project. Currently I bolt my die grinder handpiece to the side of the head. It is visible in the last video cutting the pulley teeth with a tiny ball end mill. The X2 is long gone though.

Bob, there is an advantage to keeping the 4th axis free for indexing and to drive a trunnion table (probably my next project after a tail stock) I am currently in the process of reinforcing my mill for heavier work. I have already braced the column and now am moving on to add two more trucks (bearings) to the Y axis ball slides. This will singnificantly increase ridgity as well as add another 4+ inches of Y travel.  Nothing like a few hundred pounds of 1/2" and 3/4" 1018 steel plate to stiffen things up.  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:58:42 PM by simpson36 »

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »
Here is an update: I am going forward with the trunnion table project. The tailstock will be integrated with that project, so I will be doing both simultaneously. I am still planning to make the tailstock from a 5C spin indexer so that long material can pass thru both the 4th axis and tail stock spindles.

Today I purchased the materials and new heavier ball slides beef up the mill and build the trunnion table.

As part of the shuffle, I am selling off some of the other new ball slides which I aquired and will not be using. You can find these in the bargain basement if interested.

I will document as much of the project as I have time for. Photos and text in this forum and videos, of course on Youtube. Nothing is cast in stone at this point, so any 'wish list' or other interesting ideas are welcome. I am of course especially interested in any problems with current trunnion tables or indexers that might be overcome in a new design.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2010, 03:22:31 AM »
Another Update:  I've been collecting parts and materials for mill modifications, and as usual, I've gone way overboard to the point where it is no longer really a 'modification' but building a whole new mill.

And of course also a whole new control box to go along with it. My current box is a mess becuase it has been changed and added to so many times.

The result of this is that I am selling two more DUGONG drives (in the bargain basement) and I am also considering selling the existing milll rather than 'modifying' it to such an extreme. Just two photos here. If interested, send me a PM or e-mail and we can discuss.

I have two more projects to finish and then I will be building up the new mill and 4th axis trunnion table. Probably two weeks out.

« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
Steve, team, I'm trying to figure out the options for running my stepper as a spindle and getting confused (it happens a lot). I've read this thread and I know I can do what I want with Mach and macros, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

I want to run it continually, like a spindle, pretty much just off and on. I don't need to zero it or ever know where it is. I know I need to configure it and the spindle in Mach3, but beyound that I'm not sure.
I see M951, then I see a bunch of references to Swapaxis(6,3). I can’t find the source for M951 (did it get renamed ?), and I’m wondering if I need the little swapaxis board to do what I want.

It's set up, tuned, enabled and running now as 'A'. I know I need to configue the spindle and enable it.
Past that. I'm not sure.

Thanks !  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:43:45 AM by Curmudgeon »

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
Quick update: Servo drives are sold.

Curmudgeon; In a nutshell, MACH does not run any axis continuously, but it does have an interesting ability to swap the axis around and this can be used to make MACH treat your 4th axis is if it were a spindle . .  by 'swapping' the A axis and the Spindle (which for this purpose is treated as an 'axis')

I wrote macros to do this and posted them. I will post them here again. Note that 950 and 951 are not special numbers. You can use any non-reserved number you like.

In order to not be tied exclusively to a MACH specific feature, I developed the 'swapaxis' capability in hardware (the little board).

A side benefit of this method for MACH is that it works with the smoothstepper board. The swapaxis hardware board simply takes Mach's step and directions outputs from two axis and routs them to two drives. It can then, on command,(any Mach Output) swap the signals to each drive. It is extremely fast and is transparent to Mach (and the smoothstepper).

As I made more macros, things got confusing, so I standardized on Mxx1 to turn something ON and Mxx0 to turn it OFF.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:09:34 PM by simpson36 »
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
So the SwapAxis() and ReSetAxisSwap() are Mach functions then, and functions must be called from a macro, Ahhhh it's all comming together now...

I think I have everything I need.
I can't do any testing till I get home tonight, but I beleive you have me pointed in the right direction, THANKS !

Richard

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:33:45 PM by Curmudgeon »

Offline stcnc

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2010, 07:30:43 PM »
Hi, Great looking machine! The Spindle has an encoder on it. So if you want to Tap. What is the largest Tap you can drive? What is the top and low RPM?
Bob A
www.cad2gcode.com/cncprojects

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2010, 03:54:28 AM »
The mill is not completed yet in the photo. I later added way covers and finished the drive belts, added the spidle brake, etc. The spindle has two ranges 0 - 3,600 and 0 - 8,500

The bearings are not fully broken in yet, but I have had the spndle a bit over 7,000 RPM so far running the motor from a 10A 120V variable speed controller. The spindle is smooth enough at most speeds, but there are some 'illegal' speeds where harmonics come in. I am building a dynamc balancer now that hopefully will allow me to smooth it out more. 

When I was running the motor with a servo drive, I tapped 3/8 - 16 in aluminum. I don't know the limit yet.

Here are some pics of the drive development:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:01:12 AM by simpson36 »
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
So the SwapAxis() and ReSetAxisSwap() are Mach functions then, and functions must be called from a macro, Ahhhh it's all comming together now...
I think I have everything I need.
I can't do any testing till I get home tonight, but I beleive you have me pointed in the right direction, THANKS !
Richard

OK.  Some success, some stuff still to be worked out.
Spindle swap worked flawlessly, reset, not so well.
Not sure why, but resetaxisswap() never put things back completely. I didn’t try just doing another swap from 3 to 6.

Also I have both the ‘A’  and the Spindle motor tuning set up exactly the same, but the spindle turns extremely slow unless I use numbers like S40000, which is equating to about 200 RPM’s ??
The DRO never reads any RPM’s  for the spindle.

I probably have something configured as angular instead of rotational or otherwise set incorrectly.
Not a lot of time to fuss with it last night, but I’m confident I’m very close.

Thanks for all the help !

PS
Your mill is amazing.......
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:08:12 AM by Curmudgeon »