Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:51:35 AM

Author Topic: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link  (Read 375890 times)

Offline stcnc

•  11 11
    • View Profile
Re: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
I just want to run the 4th axis as a Spindle.
Bob

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
OK, you have to define your A axis - its pins and tune it under motor tuning AND enable it. Also do the same for the spindle - define the pins and tune it AND enable it, also enable the M3/M4 relays under ports&pins -> spindle . Then, if the macro you're using has the SwapAxis(6,3) command you should be able to program M3 S####  and the 4th axis would rotate at the commanded speed as if it were a spindle.

Daniel

Offline stcnc

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
Thanks alot!
I added the S500 to the M3 and it worked.
Bob

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »
First video is posted on Youtube. Shows new Super Duty 4th axis. Rotary engraving demonstrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2urdg_bqg&feature=related

Second video posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFR_lwZBRA

Demonstrates spindle lock power during metal shaving operation.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
Looks to be working great and now you have a CNC slotter/shaper so internal/external splines and keyways will be easy :)

Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »
Really nice work there-  :)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »
Great demonstration and perfect videos as always!

Is it an oscillating head you're engraving with? Wonder why the engraved lines look black...?

Dan 

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2010, 04:59:19 AM »
It actually looked like a magic marker to me? Thought it was just a test and not a true engraving.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:16 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. Couple responses:

The black 'engraved' line is indeed drawn by a pen for the purpose of 'demonstrating' an engraving process. I use the pen often to proof new programs. I have not had time to build my tail stock yet, so cutting on the unsupported end of a foot long tube would probably not be successful. The engraving video actually was done with belts set for high speed, but it still made pretty smooth curves. The 'backgear' setting is specifically for high accuracy (very smooth arcs) and/or high torque (drilling, trunnion table, etc). I am discovering that Mach has 'issues' with simultanwous 4 axis motion.

The tail stock will be built from a standard spin indexer and have very light duty ball bearings and a 5C collet. In this way I can pas stock not only the 4th axis spindle, but also the tailstock and work on very long pieces. I have an adapter from straight shank to MT3 that can be held in a 5C collet and then use 'normal' tall stock tooling. The tailstock spindle will have a conventional handwheel advance for drilling, etc.

As mentioned in another post, the shaving operation is really most usefull for internal stuff, but that doesn't make a very good video, so I just did something external and simple again for demonstration. Many of the videos on YouTube make me want to slash my wrists, so I really try to keep mine short and reasonably interesting.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2010, 09:52:02 AM »
Comment on the new spindle lock/brake for those of you who are folowing along and making your own 4th axis;

The new setup is completely enclosed in the frame and under cover so that flood cooling can be used. The disc is now hardened steel and the caliper is larger and more robust so that the setup can serve as a brake as well as a lock. A slightly larger and longer travel air cylinder is used. Repeated emergency stops with or without motor power are accomplished quickly and without damage to the brake.

With the new brake covered up, I found it impossible to tell if the lock was engaged or not, so I now have an indicator light next to the manual override button. I also suggest beginning each program with an unlock command. The motor is unable to turn the spindle against the new lock, however, in 'backgear' the torque was such that the setscrews on the main pulley were immediately dragged around the hard spindle, even after I ground small flats for them to bear on. This has been solved by going back to the steel clamp collar with the aluminum pulley bolted to it.

The current 'lock demo' video will be taken down as soon as I have a chance to make and post a video of the new lock, so be aware that the lock as shown in the current 'lock demo' video is NOT capable of holding the spindle for a shaving operation as demonstrated in the latest video. Sorry for any confusion there.