Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:59:15 AM

Author Topic: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link  (Read 375838 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »
Looks great :)

Yes I would like the Swap axis feature but without rewiring things I couldnt really use your board. The computer connects to the SS via USB then the SS connects to the BOB via a short ribbon then I have my Diff board direct into the BOB. I could hack into the ribbon between SS and BOB but would rather not do that as it would be a chink in the armour where noise could be introduced.

My Lathe has a similar setup except the BOB itself has differential outputs so again it would be the ribbon that needs hacked into.

I could use it on the Bridgeport but dont have a servo spindle on it, in fact Mach doesnt even control the on/off of the spindle, its totally manual. I am about to re-do the Bridgeport to use servos and have a servo for the spindle also but when I will get a chance to do it I dont know.

The coil winder has steppers and is single ended but its not mine, I made it for a customer and its in his premises so cant really alter it either.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
Actually thinking about it I probably could test it out on the Bridgeport the way it is, I would just have to use it to swap an axis with another axis rather than spindle and A.
Does it swap both axis or does it just divert one axis to another.  What I mean is does it for example take X and Y in and when you swap it puts X out to Y and Y out to X or does it just take X in and either put it out to X or Y?

Hood
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:01:26 PM by Hood »

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2010, 04:50:55 AM »
Based on posts and PMs I will clarify a couple of things about the swapaxis question.

First, the swapaxis board does exactly in hardware what the Mach3 software swapaxis does, namely it 'swaps' the axis. Two axis inputs, two drive outputs. The board is invisible to Mach3. This caveat is that a user needs to be aware of the acceleration and step settings as they will not follow the axis swap, so a litte planning would need to be done, or adjustmnent made in the G-code.

This is not a complicated install. We are talking about taking 4 wires out of a $2 ribbon cable, cutting them and connecting them to a 1" wide PCB using a tiny screwdriver. Add a 5V supply, a ground and an on/off output signal from your BOB and it's done. In the unlikely event that there are not enough pins left on the BOB, a second serial port is about $15 and basic BOBs are under $10

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2010, 09:56:47 AM »
A tester has volunteered who has a servo driven lathe spindle and has been trying to get swap axis for it for quite some time.  Thanks to all who who responded.

I am not promising to make the boards generally available, but I will let everyone know the results of the smoothstepper testing. This will probably take a couple of weeks or more.

Offline stcnc

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2010, 02:17:15 PM »
Hi, In the macro the swapaxis(6,3) What are the 6,3 refer to?
Thanks
Bob

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
Hi Bob,

The numbers in the SwapAxis command are numerical designations of the axes. AS far as I remember it goes like this:

0 -> X axis
1 -> Y axis
2 -> Z axis
3 -> A axis
4 -> B axis
5 -> C axis
6 -> Spindle

Daniel

Offline stcnc

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »
Hi. I guess I'm not doing something right. 
This is the gcode i'm using for testing the 4th Axis servo motor
M940
SwapAxis(6,3)
M3
Y.5
Y0
M5
M30
The servo does not run? Y Axis moves.
Does the servo require a Relat to run?
Thanks
Bob

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »
Are you using the SwapAxis command straight in your gcode??!! You have to make up a macro that would contain the SwapAxis command and you would call it each time you need a swap the axes.

Daniel

Offline stcnc

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »
Yes, I'm using Steves macro, M940.
I made a typoO in the last reply.
Do i need a Relay for the 4th axis Servo motor?
Bob

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »
What is it exactly you want to do, Bob?

Daniel