Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:58:01 AM

Author Topic: 3-Axis Mill Retrofit, Servo and performance questions! Alot of functions?  (Read 16539 times)

Ok.

What do you mean by index pulsing?
How does that work. Will i connect my homeing sensor to my drive or to the brake out board?
What do you mean when you say it puts uot diffrentialStep/Dir signal?

But how many full pages can i make?
Im not so good in flash but every one can learn ::)
Is there some kind of list were i will find all the values that are possible to use and put on my screens?

Best Regards
Oscar Larsson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Ok.

What do you mean by index pulsing?

Index pulse homing is where you tell the machine to home it looks for the home switch then once that is seen it looks for the index pulse from the encoder. It is an extremely accurate means of homing especially if like in my drives you can gate it to A and B pulses as well.

How does that work. Will i connect my homeing sensor to my drive or to the brake out board?

Unfortunately if its not a feature of your servo drives or breakout board then you cant do it. It may be possible to do in a macro but I dont think that would be the best as timing may be an issue.

What do you mean when you say it puts uot diffrentialStep/Dir signal?
Differential signals are Step +, Step-, Dir+, Dir- as opposed to single ended being just Step and Dir

But how many full pages can i make?

I think it is 100 pages max.

Is there some kind of list were i will find all the values that are possible to use and put on my screens?

Screen 4 has a menu at the side which allows you to choose the type of thing you put on the screen such as Toolpath, DRO button etc Then you can double click on that item on your screen and choose the function you want from the drop down list. You can also enter the OEM number if you wish, you can have User OEM numbers which you can use in macros or brains.
 You can also set buttons to have single line G Code in them or set them as VB Buttons which you can put VB script in.

Hood
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:59:54 AM by Hood »
Hi.

I tought that you always connect the home limit switch to the Breakoutboard?
What is your best solution for this? Is it to connect the switch to the drives? But how will the pc then now when it is in home position?

I have also been looking at the Homman design DP-01 MPG wheel. Do you have any commenst about this product if its good or not?

Best Regards
Oscar Larsson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
I tought that you always connect the home limit switch to the Breakoutboard?
What is your best solution for this? Is it to connect the switch to the drives? But how will the pc then now when it is in home position?
Sorry I thought you were meaning the Index homing :( Yes you connect Home and Limit switches to the breakout to input into Mach.

I have never used that MPG but it looks good and I have never heard anyone complain about it so that is a sign that it is good :0

Hood
Hello.

Ok. But then i connect the switches as i tought. But what is then Index homing?

// Oscar

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Index homing can not be done internally with Mach, you either need it to be a function of your servo drives or your breakout board. As far as I know the only breakout board that supported that was the Acustep and it is no longer made.
 When you  do have Index Homing feature in your drive then the home switches go to the drive rather than Mach. When you want to home Mach sends a signal to the drive and tells it to start homing, the drives moves the axis towards the home switch and when the switch is triggered the drive sees that and then starts to look for the Index pulse of the encoder. When the index pulse is seen the drive stops the axis then sends a signal to Mach to tell it the homing is complete and Mach then sets the machine coords to the Home position.

Hood
Big thanks.

Now i do understand how it works.
When it looks for the index pulse. is this the same as the first pulse from the encoder that gets in the drive from that the home switch have been on?
When the mach sets the machine coordinates to home positions its the same as it sets all the axis that i have done ref on to zero in position?
Do your Allen Bradley drives have this function in them?

Best Regards
Oscar Larsson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
It is the Index pulse on the encoder, which ia a pulse once per Revolution. Most encoders have A+ A- B+ B- and also I+ I- which are the index pulses.

I have a macro that will home each axis in turn and when each axis drive sends the signal ,ach sets that axis as the home position then the next axis starts.

Yes my drives are the Index variety and have the homing feature, the standard version of the drives dont have it.
Hood
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:02:31 AM by Hood »
Hello Hood.

I have looking at the drives we use at work from Omron and i can not do any program in them to do that with index pulsing.
So i have an idea to put in the pulse from the mach in my plc when the mach whants to ref. When the plc gets the signal it sends it to the drive. The home position sensor is connected to an Interupt input on the plc and also the Z puls from the drive. and when i get booth i release my out signal and the drive stops, What do you think?

Another question.
I were on my local machine shop today and bought an Leadwell CNC machine with toolchanger today. The cnc system is an old Mitsubishi with AC Servo engines.
I wounder how you have solve your tollchanger?
Do you have all the program for the toolchanger in your plc?
Do you have all the communication for your toolchanger over the modbus to the plc?
What is the mach sending to your plc when the system whants to change tool?
Does the mach send over the modbus witch tool it whants to change to?

Best Regards
Oscar Larsson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
If you have the Leadwell then it will have analogue input servos, you would have to get different drives to use withthe parallel port or SmoothStepper. However there is a motion controller called DSPMC that allows you to use analogue drives, it might be worth looking at that. www.vitalsystem.com
 I have not used one but have heard good things about it and I believe it does Index homing as well :)

There is a guy on these forums that has done a Leadwell, he has a post in the Show and Tell part of the forum, his name here is fdos.

I have the ladder in the PLC to do the toolchange for the front toolpost and rear turret on my lathe. I also have a macro written so that when I call a certain tool the macro will send a signal to the PLC to index the turret/toolpost to the correct tool. Once it is there the PLC will send a signal back to Mach and the toolchange will be complete. This is all done over serial Modbus.

Hood