Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:15:33 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 4.0 Rev Update  (Read 55397 times)

Re: Mach3 4.0 Rev Update
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
I am not a programmer so please forgive me if this is an ignorant question.
If there is a 'lock down' version that works, why would you continue to "tinker" with the old version (3) revisions and not focus resources on the 'new' version (4), since it sounds like version 4 changes the way the program "thinks" and undoubtedly will need to be debugged? Just curious.
Thanks
Dean

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »
Because there is no lockdown version where everything works.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
Just another thought the V3 needs to be fixed as best it can be fixed. NOT positive but I don't think the new V4 version will be a free upgrade so many will tend to stick with V3.

(;-) TP

Offline jve

•  128 128
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »
dear Brian
something that mach3 version3 don't have is that it should have an option that you can move the z axis while it is moving cause on the waterjet field this is a usefull option
as of now you can use the torch up and torch down but this does not remember where it was you have to adjust the z axis on every pierce
hope i am not mistaken
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2011, 02:19:32 AM »
Mr Jekran,

About moving the Z while machine is moving, that can be done already. I have a machine like that in a plasma cutter. While the machine is moving the X and Y axis, you can control by hand (I assigned 2 keys, one for up other for down) and I can control the Z during cutting. I do not have to control the Z every piece:
When to start cutting the Z axis moves down until a sensor is reached - then I set Z=0 in that position - then you have control using the up and down assigned keys, and you have a DRO with the Z position, where you can control your Z position and as Z was set to zero, you know your relative position.
If I remember correctly I used brains and the torch height control.

Filipe

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
That is not a problem in plasma. The torch always knows where it is at.  I think you need to work on your settings for the thc to keep from loosing steps.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline jve

•  128 128
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
do we have any news for the new version i think lot of us are hardly waiting for

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2011, 04:32:30 AM »
There is a new programmer starting in the new year, I believe, so it will not just be Brian having to do all that on his own. Things should start to move forward but I wouldnt be expecting it to be instant ;)
Hood
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2011, 07:35:06 AM »
Awesome! Surely it will take some time for the new programmer to get up to speed with Mach3, but this is very good news.

I think Artsoft should consider 2-tier pricing for home and business licensing. As a commercial user I would gladly shell out a few more bucks for this software. Think about it:

CAD package - $1000+/license
CAM - $1000+/license
machine controller - $160/machine with free updates?

And all I need for hardware are standard stepper drivers and a BOB? Go ahead and raise the price for us, but let the hobbyist enjoy for the nominal fee. The functionality and customization that Mach3 allows deserves a higher payout from those of us that are saving $30,000+/yr/machine on machining costs when compared to outsourcing the parts. And yes, my shop does save close to or in excess of $100,000/yr with 3 CNC's - no exaggeration. This extra money could then be used to improve and stabilize Mach3, and would be more than worth it to all of us commercial users - assuming that the product does improve as a result.

So, by all means, instead of releasing Mach3 rev4, release it as Mach4 with new 2-tier pricing. I would strongly recommend to the owner of my company to upgrade all of my machines to Mach4, paying the new licensing fee, without even thinking about it.

My 2 cents.

Other commercial users, please share what you think about this. I'm sure I'm not alone on this train of thought. I want Mach to be as good as possible and am willing to pay for it. Do you agree?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
It's been mentioned before that version 4 probably won't be a free upgrade.

I've purchased plenty of software over the years with "free upgrades for life". Funny that sooner or later, the free upgrades go away. While it works for a few years, at some point you need more revenue to pay for continued development.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html