Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:52:04 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and Galil Motion Control boards  (Read 6936 times)

Mach 3 and Galil Motion Control boards
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »
Dear All,
             Don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes anyway. As I understand it, Mach 3 has a plug-in or driver, I don't know which, to interface to a Galil motion control board or boards. The questions are these:-   Is the communication protocol between Mach 3 and the Galil board open to be looked at and studied?  I assume that the Galil boards are PCI based? The reason for these questions is that I think Galil products are very expensive and I have seen a PCI motion control board for a fraction of the cost of a Galil, but it will obviously need a new driver or plug-in writing to communicate with Mach 3.  I don't know if I'm clever enough to do this either.  Any comments and advice gratefully received.

Dave.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 and Galil Motion Control boards
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Ask "Smurf" he is fooling with the Galil now..........

scott
fun times
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »
hello all,
I am going to use the galil plugin and a dmc-2180 controller on a plasma cutter and would like to know if you can use a thc with this plugin.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:45:15 PM by mikey9911 »
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Does anyone have an ICD on MACH 3.  What is the output thats drives servo amps. In the case of a Galil board I guess its software to the Galil that is converted to Galil language for Galil to turn into a servo amp drive voltage.

anyway a nice ICD would explain all.  Does one exists.

Jim P  (Petsatcom)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
What about the Galil Manual? Its on the Galil site.
This is the controller for command and feedback.
Nosmo.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »
Is the communication protocol between Mach 3 and the Galil board open to be looked at and studied?  I assume that the Galil boards are PCI based? The reason for these questions is that I think Galil products are very expensive and I have seen a PCI motion control board for a fraction of the cost of a Galil, but it will obviously need a new driver or plug-in writing to communicate with Mach 3.

The Galil card, unlike the less expensive motion control cards you mention, has its own trajectory planner. 

From what I recall from previous discussions, Mach sends velocity and position data to the board.  The Galil uses internal functions (possibly LM and VS) to convert this into a trajectory.  These features are missing from lower cost cards which, as a result, would require a completely different approach to writing a driver.  It is definitely not trivial.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 09:49:51 PM »
..........And also the PID loop is handled within the card, allowing the use of non-intelligent drives to be used.
Nosmo.

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »
We are working on THC for the Galil, but as with all the other changes, it is going to take a while before it is ready. Lathe threading is also in the works.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.