Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:16:17 PM

Author Topic: Geckp 540 and Solid State Relay  (Read 6987 times)

Geckp 540 and Solid State Relay
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »
Good Evening Everybody.

I have been searching the boards for a good 3 hours trying to figure out how to wire and configure this realay and finally had to ask for help.

I have a gecko 540 and a Fotek SSR-25 DA Solid State Relay.  48 VDC Input and 24-380V VAC Output.  I have connected the - side of the relay to the Gecko on Pin 5 of the main terminal board, and the + side to the 48VDC + Terminal.  I have wires coming from the VAC side to an electrical outlet.   If anybody could please help me get mach 3 setup in Mach3, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Geckp 540 and Solid State Relay
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:53:20 AM »
David,

Don't know if this is any help but this is the typical SSR configuration.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
Hi David,

I believe it should be wired like this diagram as this is how I have mine wired. The leads in the diagram that go to the breakout board (your G540) are the "TO COMPUTER" leads in the picture. The + goes to output 5 or 6 on the G540 and the other goes to ground of the parallel port as well.

The credit of this diagram goes to Tom Benedict's relay tutorial, which I HIGHLY suggest you read before continuing.

http://www.cartertools.com/tbbrb.html

Hope this helps, but ALWAYS be careful with any wiring!
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
THanks for the input, I actually bought a new relay, a dual relay board from easycnc.com.  It has all the right hookups to make it work right.  I hope I can control both my spindle, and using the mist relay port to turn on my dust collector system.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:04:01 AM »
Crash,

Just one point of note:-
If you take a power tool apart you will usually notice an R/C or inductive suppression device fitted across the on/off switch. This is there to reduce the arc (which occurs during switching) and provides a fair degree radio frequency suppression. If you encounter any problems, with computer glitches etc, using your relay board then would be a good idea to fit one of these suppression devices across the contacts of each relay.

(SSR’s, on the other hand, make use of the 'zero crossing point' of the a/c waveform for their on/off switching points, this reduces the spike / noise / arc to an absolute minimum and no other forms of suppression are usually necessary).

Tweakie.

PEACE