Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:59:54 AM

Author Topic: 5 Axis Mill (Trunion type), with Arm ATC, and Pallet changer control.  (Read 21667 times)

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Axis Mill (Trunion type), with Arm ATC, and Pallet changer control.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 01:28:53 PM »
Have you thought of doing direct drive rotary tables..might be a cheaper way if you have to make your own..
The motor can be attached direct to the table face plate or a gear or pulley system can be used..
The Hermle trunion machines have this system now..they have gear drive on the tilt and a direct drive torque motor on the turn.

John

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »
Yes, I have thought of that, but my worries would be holding power under "continous" motion. I can add a brake for 4th, and 5th, but for continous operations the cutting torgues would be my concern. I would have to increase the power of the motor (cant go over 1kw at present, or gear it down with a pulley(s). I am trying to get away from as much backlash as I can, since that will be the killer on a trunion.......

If you get a chance to get a peek at the mechanicals and specs on the Hermle can you send pics and mechanical/electrical specs my way?

Thanks John,

Scott
fun times

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »
Hi Scott here is a link to the Hermle range of trunnion machines with some PDf manuals as well!

http://www.hermle.de/index.php5?146

It's not very in depth but i'm thinking you might get some help from the importer in your country..they are usually keen to help on these type of projects especially if they can benefit in any way..

Re the backlash issue, i'm thinking a good belt or gear set up would have almost zero backlash..i'm not sure if any can be dialed out on mach3!

John.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
Here is a You Tube link to a video of the Stage 1 build and test of my cabnet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcfzbLqG-VA

This is just the basic functionality: AC servos under mach/SS control, VFD Spindle, DL205 PLC on TCP for main IO control, Night Vision Flash screen.
The spiders are still on crack that are in my cabnet........  but it is just the basic Test the basics and make sure it works stage1......

scott
fun times

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 05:50:05 PM »
Scott

A nice movie of a Mazak 5 axis trunnion machine with pallet changer..Ace screen layout too with machine simulation on the screen!

Would love to get a mach screen like this one!

Also noticed it has a travelling gantry for X Y Z too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CJIzKclDLk

John.
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
Very interesting! nice work on the cabinet, mine looks a bit like the crack-smoking spiders actually fitted the wires. It was all neat, and I found a few corrections to do, and a few upgrades, and off it went.

I'll be keeping an eye out to see this one up and running, good luck :)