Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:21:45 AM

Author Topic: 5 Axis Mill (Trunion type), with Arm ATC, and Pallet changer control.  (Read 21666 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Axis Mill (Trunion type), with Arm ATC, and Pallet changer control.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
Looking very neat Scott, you need a better camera though ;D
 I like the breakouts for the drives, should have bought some for mine instead of being a miserable bas%^$d then again Rockwells prices are not so good as AD's so I have a slight excuse

Hood

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »
:)

fun times

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
Yup, looking good Scott.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 03:59:02 AM »
Just an idea Scott but you might be able to pick a Bridgeport BPC320H for not much money..It's a Horizontal with 300mm pallets and full B axis. The early ones had Fanuc 6 and Fanuc DC brush motors and were built by Yasda in Japan so are very good quality.

They have a pallet changer and some had an optional swing arm tool changer with up to 99 tools.

It's not the Vmc trunion 3+2 you were after as it would have to be C on top of B with the Bridgeport and maybe have the C with the pallet change on it or just use the pallet change it comes with and have one station for standard milling and the other for 5 axis machining .

Probably a bad idea but just thought I'd add something to the discussion!!

http://www.vemu.com/usate_uk.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1sCwiQ3JBk&feature=channel_page

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BRIDGEPORT-BPC-320H-Horizontal-Machining-Center_W0QQitemZ260244651803QQihZ016QQcategoryZ12584QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

John.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »
Thanks for the Tip, I do appreciate it, but I am in the US, and the Ebay site wants far, far more than I can do.........

I would even settle for a Bedmill VMC that has Arm type ATC, Large or Small (that a 1kw servo can be used on), and I will do my own trunion if I have to. My hope was to find something with a trashed control that the guy would let me haul it darn thing out of his shop
for nothing, OR, real cheap. This is for the Convention ultimatly.........  Realistically, this year I will probably only be able to show the control system. Mabey by next year I will have found a machine and have the "Full Package" showable.

scott
fun times

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 10:17:38 PM »
Sounds great Scott...there seems to be very few peoples doing 5 axis with Mach so will be nice to see how it holds up to some of the slightly more expensive cnc controlls out there!!

John.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »
Might want to consider what your post processing capabilities are before you design your machine.  The expense of writing a post for a weird setup will end up eating up time and money.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
not really a problem at all since I use: "OneCNC XR2 Mill Expert, with the 4th and 5th axis module", I have used it on 4/5 axis machines for a while with mach no problems.  I wrote the 4/5th axis Post for it as well, that I gave to OneCNC and released here as well for others who have this CAM.

"The expense of writing a post for a weird setup will end up eating up time and money."
Didnt cost me a dime, the user can tailor thier own post processor exteamly easy to do. Further Truion Table designed machines are not weird at all
they are very common, i.e. Haas, Mazak, Hurco etc. all have machines that you can add on a trunion table, or buy a machine that has a inbuilt truion
for dedicated 5 axis work.

scott
fun times
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
Should have quoted the post in this thread I was referring too. Yes, stick with the trunnion type, its common and easy to modify a generic post!

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 10:12:51 AM »
Hello again,

I am chasing a Unicorn, so I hope mabey one of you might know of where a source of them are........

What I need is 2 AFFORDABLE, (but NOT cheaply made), Rotary tables, with a 12" table, and adjustable back lash.
Prefable the same brand/make/model. 

I am considering, the above verses, designing and making my own trunion from scratch.......  NOT to thrilled about the
scratch trunion idea, but will consider it if pricing is to crazy.........

I WILL consider used, if in servicable, or rebuildable shape.......

Cabnet is comming along, will get some pics up, later after I finish the PLC to basic Drives/MCs and VFD wiring done. Got the main "Power Distribution" and AC power side done
last night, put all the wiring labels on, since it is in the base wiring layout phaze, it looks like a bunch of "Spiders on Crack" have attacked my cabnet......  hehehehe

Found some VERY, VERY cool little "Terminal block" sized relays, each Relay block has 6 releays on it with LED relay on indicators. They consume about the same space as the width/length of 8 standard 1 level terminal blocks!!!  Ran into ONE gotch on them though, my Output modules in my PLC are Sourcing, and the Relays are sinking........  so, I can
still use them, but the LED for relay on, will not work the other way, and I cannt afford to swap to Sinking output modules, oh well..... 

BTW:   Is there anyone in or close to the Knoxville, TN (east TN), area that does "Sheet Metal" work, and would be willing to trade some work? I would buy the sheet metal. Would trade you Mach3 work (anykind), labor for labor. I need some boxes made, some complexity involved.

scott
fun times