Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:06:55 AM

Author Topic: 5 Axis Mill (Trunion type), with Arm ATC, and Pallet changer control.  (Read 21668 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Greetings,

I am in the design phaze of a 5 axis Mill (Trunion 3+2), control system, with controls for a Swap Arm type "Hot Swap" ATC, and pallet changer.
I am using Five 1KW AC servos, an ADC DL205 on TCP modbus (9 slot base, ECom module, CTRIO to run 2 accessory PLC driven [independant of mach] small servos for the ATC, Analog Module with 8 in/4 out, 96 inputs, 64 outputs), Motion with a Smooth Stepper, 3hp VFD and motor. Machine will be targeted at running on single phaze 220.
I will add controls for a Pallet Changer, swarf convayor, internal lights, coolent, auto oilers, basically all the do-dads that I can think of.
I have the DL205 in a 485 Drop network with the 5 SureSurvo Drives and Durapulse VFD for indepth and high end Modbus control over parameters and funcitons that can be
viewed or changed on the fly from a Diagnostic screen in mach3. The Screen will be my "Night Vision" Flash Screen, and will be using Peter Homanns ModIO pendant kit with a custom plugin I am working on.

I am hoping to get the control system completely finished for the 2cd Annual MCSE, I have some "Sponsors" for the build and some "Helpers" but would gladly take more if you wish to contribute.  I was Ultimatly looking for a 3 (or if possible a 5axis trunion type VMC) axis VMC with a burnt control, one that already had a "Arm Type" ATC on it. But, cant find one that is available for "Haul off or donation".  So, If time allows I may try and slap together some kind of frame, and perhaps do a "Non-Shrink" concrete or Grout pour for the stucture (the Epoxy/Granite stuff from the CNC zone is not developed enough yet for use).

If any of you would like to contribute to the build let me know, I am also looking for a Sponsor for the:
BallScrews/Nuts/Jornals (i.e. Hiwin, Nook, etc.), and perhaps one for the Metal Framing materials and other odds and ends.

I will REALLY, REALLY be pushed for time, (I will be pushing it just to get the control completely done), so if any of you would like to cut some mechanical parts/pieces let me know.  I know it is not much, but I can and will list you as contributors to the build (and what you contributed). Digital Machinist Magazine said they will try and get there to cover the event, so you can get some publicity for your work..........

Current corporate Sponsors:
1). Automation Direct, Inc.
2). CNC4PC, Inc.
3). Homan Designs, Inc.
4). Vectric, Ltd.
5). S S Systems, LLC

Current individual Sponsors/contributers/helpers:
1). "Aksess" from CNCzone (Dewight in Athens TN, will be contributing some Sheet metal and Plazma table work, for the control "Head" enclosure, and other odds and ends)
2). Jason "zeolous" Blake will be doing some "Fixing/improving" of the NightVision screens.

I will post pictures as the Control (and machine if possible), as it evolves, below is a screen shot of the Main Panel Layout done in Rhino, and the VFD enclosure as well.
I should be getting the Cabnet pics up very shortly, doing the main wiring now and it will be finished, and ready for IO wiring then.

Scott

fun times

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Axis Mill (Trunion type), with Arm ATC, and Pallet changer control.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Sounds cool. Just a couple of questions.

How are you planning on handling the 5 axis cutter comp and tool length offset? Mach does not handle this yet. Just talked to Brian about it this morning and it is not going to happen any time soon. I have been hoping for 5 axis support for years. then there is the problem with the cam. There is still not a reasonably priced 5 axis cam package.

chad

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »
Mine is handled in the CAM, I use OneCNC XR2 with 4-5th axis module, so it is no problem.  They have come out with XR3, but I have not yet upgraded.......

My CAM was around 10K

Scott
fun times

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »
Basic Power Circuits are done on the Panel, Just came in is the VFD Drive, Spindle motor, reactor, RF filters, and associated MC/CBs for the Spindle.
Next step is to do the Control Wiring.

Still left to do is:
1).  ADD a Smooth Stepper and CNC4PC BOB
2). ADD New Computer with the "Night Vision Screens"
3). I/O hook up
4). PLC programming
5). Custom Plug ins for this system

Then Phaze two begins..........

scott
fun times

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:59:45 PM »
Looks Great! Very professional looking cabinet. I'm going to be watching with great interest. My next victim is an ARTRAN 5 axis machine. It is a gantry type with C and B rotary axes. It has a winerack type tool changer and is totally enclosed. When I get a little farther along I'll post some pictures. First things first....I need to get my lathe sorted out.

Do you have any pics of the iron?

Monty

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 10:49:47 AM »
Gotta build the Iron, ground up..............  Unless someone want to give me free Iron................
fun times

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
Looks like you've got a nice machine planned out, Scott. Do you have the machine designed out in cad? Whats the footprint going to be?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:14:39 PM »
Still doing the layout mostly still in the general "Concept" Phaze for the physical machine.  It will probably be around the size of a VF4 Haas or so...........
I will be lucky just to get the control system finished, before my dead line in April, I hope to bother someone else to build the structer for me.

I am NOT a welder or Sheet metal guy, so I will pester some folks who are and see if they want to contribute some labor...........  why, do you wanna help?  :)

Scott
fun times

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »
I'm afraid all my time is booked for another 6 months. Hopefully 6 more after that.... if I'm lucky. I'll take all I can get in this economy. April eh??? Heck, it's almost Feb! Won't be long till the carriage turns into a pumpkin! Oh well, I'm sure you'll get it done, though. Deadlines are meant to be broken. :) What usage do you have in mind for the machine? What do you estimate the final cost to be? 10-15K? 15-20K? Above 20? What kind of machining accuracy are you shooting for? Half thou? Couple tenths? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »
Really, I am just doing the Control ONLY for the Show in April, I will try to hang it on some kind of DEMO machine, the machine may well be just a basic frame just to have a point to mount stuff too. It is really just to show what kinda highend control stuff can be done.
for me to do the REAL machine, that would probably take a Year of so, MOSTLY cause like you, I work when there is work, and dont have deep pockets.......Money is the main show stopper, like most independants I think.......

I will pester other Vendors to see if they want to contribute stuff like ball screws, metal ectera, so they could get some publicity, and I could get some parts........ but what ever, I will build as I can, when I can............

Scott
fun times