Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:17:23 AM

Author Topic: My X-Axis is losing steps!  (Read 28835 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: My X-Axis is losing steps!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »
Hood,
In reply to your post #18 and my post #17 info from the Gecko site.

"If the cable run from the power supply to the drive exceeds 18” or if a fuse is used, place a 470uF
100 VDC capacitor across each drive’s power terminals 1 and 2. Make sure the capacitor’s “+”
lead goes to terminal 2 and that its “-“ lead goes to terminal 1. The capacitor is necessary
because the drive draws power supply current in 20 kHz pulses and needs “flywheel” to work
properly."

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »
yes Rich, thats what I was meaning regarding their location. In the pics that were posted  it looks to me like the caps are on the Step or  Dir terminals. It may not even be caps but certainly looks like it. I would imagine the G212 would be based on the G202s and as such would have the power caps built in but possibly not, in any case I am wondering about the caps I think I see in the photos.
Hood
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »
 :)Well Hello Hood,
  This may be the only difference between the two. Didn't see anything else.
RC
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 12:48:19 PM »
Just saw this

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
RC, this is what I am seeing, looks like a Cap but cant determine where it is actually fitted to, just thinking if its in the Step or Dir connections then that could well be an issue.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 01:51:45 PM »
I see what you seeing Hood and if it's a cap it dosen't belong there.
RICH
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
Hood, I saw that as well but couldn't make it out. I assumed that was what you were referring to.
Looked through the manuals, like Rich said, nothing like that mentioned.
RC
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Hi, the mystery stuff is not a cap.  The red is a collar on the grounding lug underneath the terminal block to the mounting screw for the shield on the cable.
The black tape on the end of the cable keeps the shield foil and the 4th, unused conductor held back tidy.  The current set resistors are made up of 2 resistors in series with red shrink tubing on the outer ends to prevent smoke...  Z axis has 3 resistors due to it being a different current value.  The Manual does not require additional Capacitance at the terminals like the earlier units did.  The case is wider to accomodate the built in unit.  Hope this helps dispell any Red Herrings ;)
Thanks,Don

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »
LOL, bet you have been reading this for hours and kept saying I will wait a bit longer before I post and tell them ;D

Hood
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »
Hood, Naa. I just got the chance to see the postings.  I know the wiring looks a little rough, but it is actually safe and clean.  It has worked for over 2 years. 
Overloaded, I just tried raising the step pulse to 5 and had no change.  Had to exit Mach to get the number to persist, as in the other thread.  Earier version of Mach3...
Thanks, Don  P.S.  I'll be going to work soon...  I Owe, I Owe, So Off to Work I Go...