Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:09:44 AM

Author Topic: Converting a DSP Controller system to Mach 3  (Read 34366 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Converting a DSP Controller system to Mach 3
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »
Its ok regarding the VFD manual, just found it and downloading now.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »
OK looks like your inverter take 0 to 10V for speed control so any of the speed controllers sold by the usual suspects should do fine. I have no experiecnce of using any of them so hopefully some of the guys that do will come in and give the opinions of the ones they use. I know Peter Homanns digispeeds get a good name so I will see if I can get him to give you a bit of info regarding his product.
Hood

Edit, I have attached the VFD manual if anyone wants to look through it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:34:58 PM by Hood »
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »
Hood,
       I have done a Google search on the first letters on the Serial? Model number? and came up with this website.

http://detail.china.alibaba.com/buyer/offerdetail/197492842.html

It is all in Chinese, you will have to translate sorry. What exactly do you mean by "Do you have the touch plate ?(CAD feature as they call it)" What is a touch plate?

Martyn.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
I am meaning the manual mentions CAD feature which seems to be a touch plate for setting tool heights.
Hood
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 03:47:57 PM »
There was no touch plate with the machine. I may have to see about making one later but I do not have one right now.

Martyn.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »
OK thats fine as its one less thing to worry about. Looks like it would be a fairly easy conversion, you would need a breakout board (I like the PMDX 122 but there are lots of others to choose from) Also you will need a few relays and something to control the spindle speed. Agian there are quite a few speed controllers out there one of which is the one I mentioned earlier from www.homanndesigns.com

Hood
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 03:56:13 PM »
Thank you kind sir, I will contact him as soon as I can. I am in Canada and may look for a supplier in the USA. It is much closer than OZ and I may be able to get it sent to a friends house and not have to worry about the mail delay for Customs.

Martyn.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »
I think Steve at PMDX does a speed control as well, in fact most of the breakout board people do.
Hood
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »
OK looks like your inverter take 0 to 10V for speed control so any of the speed controllers sold by the usual suspects should do fine. I have no experiecnce of using any of them so hopefully some of the guys that do will come in and give the opinions of the ones they use. I know Peter Homanns digispeeds get a good name so I will see if I can get him to give you a bit of info regarding his product.
Hood

Edit, I have attached the VFD manual if anyone wants to look through it.

Hi Hood, Martyn,

I have looked through the VFD manual and yes, the range of DigiSpeeds should have no problem controlling the VFD. I'd suggest using the DigiSpeed DC-06 with the on board DC/DC conveter.

http://homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=39

Even though the VFD can supply the 10Vdc reference voltage, the speed controllers require about a volt for it's own use, meaning that you end up with a slightly reduced maximum speed. The DC/DC converter elliminates this.

The DC-06 takes the spindle axis step/dir signal and converts it to an isolated analog value. It also has a couple of small relays, ideal for switching the control inputs on a VFD. These are normall used for direction cotrol, brake, enable, etc.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Cheers,

Peter

----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
Martyn
 That pendant you linked to, is that the actual control for your system? Looking at the site it certainly seems that way.
Hood