Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:02:08 AM

Author Topic: Converting a DSP Controller system to Mach 3  (Read 34378 times)

Converting a DSP Controller system to Mach 3
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »
Howdy all,
I recently purchased a used CNC Router with a DSP Controller system. I can't say that I like the DSP at all. Not enough feedback for me. How easy would it be to change the DSP controller to a computer hookup that I could run with Mach 3?

Keeping in mind that I am pretty much electronically illiterate I need to find a system that would be fairly easy to install.

The CNC is a Chinese unit that runs with 3 steppers and is 110 volts but 3 phase.

Martyn.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Converting a DSP Controller system to Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:07:24 PM »
Do you have links to any doccumentation? As it is a stepper system then it will more than likely take Step/Dir inputs so should be possible to convert to Mach without much trouble but without knowing the system its impossible to say how hard it will be.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
Hi Hood,
           Sorry the documentation I have is very poor and the translations are not very good.

I can hook the DSP unit into my computer with a PCI SCSI card. I am going to check tomorrow with my local computer geek  store and find out if I can get a cable with two male ends. Maybe I can hook one to my computer and the other to the input on the CNC machine. I do not know if that would allow me to command the machine or not.

Martyn.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »
SCSI will not work from Mach, you will need either parallel port or one of the external devices such as the SmoothStepper.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »
Well there goes that idea then, and it was such a nice one too. Can I get a parallel to SCSI cable? Would that work?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »
Dont think so :(
If you can scan the schematics you have maybe we can figure it out, some of us speak fluent Chinglish :D
Hood
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »
Hood,
       just took another look at what I have. I have an Adobe PDF file that may, I say again, may be the schematic for the board. Let me know what you think.

Martyn.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:42:42 PM »
That looks as if it would be fairly easy to convert over,its late here (1:45am) so I will have a better look tomorrow. If I dont post please shout as I have a bad memory :D
Hood
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
Thank you kind sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and there aren't many of us left.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Martyn.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »
Hi, Martyn

With the PDF file in hand you have most all the info you need to start planning this conversion.

It's a matter of removing the 50 pin interface board and installing a breakout board (BOB) w\Spindle control options.

Tracing the existing Interface boards 50 pin connector and making a 50 pin to 25 pin adapter cable mite also be a way to go.

At least your looking at stepper controls that are step & direction and sensors that are adaptable hear.

Chip